Saturday, November 17, 2007

Blueberry swirl

Once upon a time, we had white slipcovered sofas.
I've always loved Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic style, and, still adore that crisp, clean look. But Troy and I just found a photograph of our former living room, and Troy looked at me and said, "Lisa, look at the couch we bought. Were we insane?!"
Interior decorators are always proclaiming the slipcover as the solution to keeping a pretty environment despite the ravages of children and dogs. I'm not so sure. Truth be told, even before we had children and a dog, it was very difficult to keep the white slipcovers white. Coffee spilled, wine spilled, soup spilled. I don't consider us particularly messy people, but by the time Wyatt came along and spit up a few times, things were looking truly shabby, and not so chic.
Now, however, I have found the answer that really works for me: blue and white paisley. I love it. It's refreshing, soothing, and just confusing enough. Add a little Dupont fabric protection spray, and it cannot be defeated, even by four boys, a dog, two cats, and two adults who like to drink dark beverages.
This morning, I found Cooper happily sitting in the living room, eating blueberries. I realized that I didn't bat an eye. The scene, which previously would have freaked me out, did not bother me in the least, and I realized that it's because of the blue & white scheme. But more importantly, I realized that I've finally started to know what's best for me. What suits my life, and what's important to us.
And that, I believe, is what style is really all about.

8 comments:

Lady M said...

I wish I could be as cool as you. Cooper is getting so big.

xoxo
Ilana

Anonymous said...

Lisa - you are marvellous - I think I still would have freaked out. But, you are right, you have to have liveable stuff with kids. And that paisley is GORGEOUS!

megan

julie said...

You're so right! And Coop's so tall and handsome!

Anonymous said...

Nice try. But dupont fabric protection is no match for a sweaty downstairs neighbor from California.

Lisa said...

Now *that* I cannot handle.

Sandy said...

I'll try this again, I hope it's not a dupe!
Lisa, I am a huge fan of fabrics, especially upholstery and drapery ones. I love that blue paisley fabric, it is gorgeous!
I remember there being rooms we couldn't use growing up, but I really don't get that anymore. It's nice that you stopped to take Cooper's picture and not have a freak out!

Cooper is so cute, and he is eating fruit. Yay!!

violets said...

Hi lisa

We did a similar thing just after Fern was born we had cream coloured, carpet all through the house, what a huge mistake that was, never to be repeated with 3 kids and three dogs, phew.

Vi xx

Anna's kitchen table said...

Yep, my biggest mistake was beige carpet too!!

I try and stick to leather sofas (current one is very dark brown) very child/spill friendly!!

xx