Wednesday, June 06, 2007

No-fly zone

Today was an official Haz-Mat day chez moi. Beginning early in the morning with (newly potty-trained) Harry accidentally peeing the bed. Then, one of the cats threw up. Then, Harry was climbing a wall and fell off and bashed his head, so there was a bloody scene and we had to rush to get stitches.
Here's where I realized the benefits of Tabby's Fly-girl advice, where you're supposed to get dressed head-to-toe the minute you wake up. Because before we could get into the car to take Harry to the doctor, I had to:
-hold a towel to Harry's head and stabilize him.
-butterfly bandage his forehead.
-find pants for Harry.
-find shoes for Harry.
Meanwhile, I'm shouting at everyone to remain calm, a bit like Edina Monsoon. We were not in a 9-1-1 situation, so it was time to:
-find pants and a shirt for Cooper
-find pants for Griffin
-trade a shirt Griffin was wearing for one that matched his shorts, lest the doctor's office think I'm a disorganized mother.
-grab my wallet and car keys.
-find the car.
It was then that I realized Troy had taken the big car. I was left with the little car. That's okay, I could have made that work. If only I could have found the car key! I called Troy and he told me it was in "my drawer." I have one drawer in the kitchen that is supposed to be all mine, but it keeps getting corrupted. So the key was not in my drawer.
With no keys/car, I had to shuffle everyone over to the neighbor's. No one was home. So we shuffled over to the next neighbor. Mark works at home -- poor him -- so I asked to borrow his car and then hoisted Cooper over to him, since his car only had one car seat, and we set off.
Harry was so brave. He got five stitches -- and a frosted cookie for his trouble.
We returned Mark's car, went home and Cooper smiled and said he had "fun uh Mark!" He got to watch "Winnie the Pooh!"
Thirty minutes later, we were all settling down when suddenly the boys started screaming and running downstairs to announce that Cooper had barfed.
But he's fine. And we're all still dressed, so I think I'll sleep in my clothes in case I need to be organized tomorrow.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG Lisa!!

You are amazing!

I hope Troy is properly contrite about he car.

I think I would need a large G&T washing down verious illegal things after a day like that.

Megan

Anonymous said...

OMG but I bet you're laughing about this today Lisa.
Tx

Anna's kitchen table said...

Oh my word! Lisa, you deserve a medal.
I hope Harry's ok now...
xx

julie said...

What a day! And you can find the words to make it all sound OK! You're so cool!

Poor Harry still...

Sandy said...

Lisa, sounds like you have everything under control! Poor little guy, hope he's doing fine now. I am tired after reading that!

Lady M said...

Yikes!

Hope Harry is OK today. :)

xoxo
Ilana

Kelly-Jane said...

I thought I had had a really really awful day today, but actually maybe it wasn't so bad after all!

Dear Lord, you'll have to have some rum or chocolate (or both) to calm you down :)

I glad to hear that everyone was ok in the end though.

KJxx

Ms O said...

Hope you don't mind knowing that I've been laughing my ass off after reading your post. It was so good!

There's something to be said for being prepared, and sleeping in your clothes only puts you ahead of the troops, I know. Besides, all's well that ends well. Right? Right!

Lea x

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable, Lisa! I don't know how you do it. I hope poor Harry's OK now. And poor you.

Anonymous said...

GordonBennett, Lisa, I don't know how you do it.........at what age do kids stop barfing, falling over, falling off things? Jane x

Rachel said...

OMG!
I hope you broke into Troy's stash of rum after that day, neat and not even stirred!
How do you do it???

Lisa said...

Thanks, you guys. Harry's doing well, we're covering his wound w/Neosporin to try to help it heal w/minimal scarring. Griffin barfed all day Thursday, but is fine now. Everything seems to be calm.
And I made Mark the neighbor a plate of chocolate chip cookies in thanks.
Whew.
Lxo

pistachio said...

Oh heavens, Lisa ... I hope Harry is okay now and you've recovered from the stress of it all. I would very definitely have needed a strong drink if I had had to handle all that, lol.

hugs
pi xxx