Monday, June 04, 2007

Starting summer

Most Americans kick off summer during the extended Memorial Day weekend. Boats are launched, summer houses opened (I hear), grills fired up, and you're allowed to wear white again after a dark fashion winter.
In Florida, it's easy to get lulled into a state of endless summer, because it rarely gets cold enough to wear a jacket, and so there's usually not such a delineation felt. Rather, everything changes in subtle shifts. However, with Emily visiting from a cold climate and being psyched about everything jump-starting her summer, this past week really has felt more like the launch of a season to me.
Lucky went to the groomer and got his summertime clip. Emily & I got pedicures.

[Emily defends her toe ring as her "one act of rebellion," which tells you a lot about her. She sometimes says, "Oh my goodness!" in situations that have me dropping the F-bomb. And she says, "H-E-double toothpicks."]

We all went to the beach, which has the softest, whitest sand you've ever seen. On Saturday it was all misty and windy due to the tropical storm, but on Sunday it was packed with happy people. There was a great range of people there -- babies, surfers, seniors, and everyone in between -- all cheerful and relaxed.


Back at home, Troy chopped down some basil for pesto, and we grilled lamb chops & ate ice cream. Very summery.

The lamb chops and potatoes were cooked on high heat & with a lot of olive oil. Next time I'll turn up the heat even more on the chops to get more of a char, Greek-stylee. We drizzled olive oil on them while they were on the grill to get the flames to shoot up. Everything got a spritz of lemon juice once it was moved to the platter.

I made a salted butter caramel sauce for the vanilla ice cream.

And here is a lemon cake made in a bundt mould Emily gave us. Perfect! One turret for each child. I did notice some marauders stormed the castle and attacked the base while I was out.

It's early June and the strawberries are perfect. We've been eating them by the bushel. I was going to top the turrets with a strawberry, but the boys could hardly wait for their plates, so I had to hurry up. Wyatt's turret resembles the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Last but not least, we may finally have found some good tomatoes. They smell like tomatoes -- a small miracle!

The livin' is definitely going to be easy today because I have nothing planned except to catch up with friends & laundry. As Baz Luhrmann says: don't forget your sunscreen.

7 comments:

julie said...

Such a happy post! I almost feel like summer's here too then! Going to get some sardines on the electro grill!

Sandy said...

Lovely post. Enjoy your friend's visit. I especially LOVE the spiderman plates!

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a great time! and...tomatoes!!!

Haha - the coming of summer for me is my first pedicure of the season!

Megan

Ms O said...

What a lovely dreamy post. You and Emily look like you could be cousins or something. :)

Lea

Kelly-Jane said...

A great happy post, love your castle, really fab for the kids after being at the beach :)

I thought you and Emily looked related too.

Anna's kitchen table said...

What a lovely, summery post - the castle cake is amazing! oh, and I love proper tomatoes, with the 'fat tomato' smell...
xx

Mara said...

Can I come and live with you, Lisa?? Looking at those pictures taken on the beach alone makes me feel more relaxed.
Love the castle cake, too!