Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Ja! Oui! Right on!

After hearing much ado about Nigella's pork with cider & cream...and gnocchi, I was glad to at last give it a go last week, and boy is this dish a winner!
First of all, it was a near-miracle that I found French hard cider. I was astonished at my luck.

No such luck with the gnocchi, though. One market had them, but they looked so lifeless and ancient in their vacuum-packed netherworld that I decided to pass on them and just make fried potatoes.
I bought pristine pork chops at Whole Foods, and then pounded the hell out of them with Troy's mojito bat to try to tenderize them. You see, I rarely make pork chops because I can never get them to turn out right. They're never tender, always tough. I try not to overcook them, but am consistently discouraged, so I've basically written them off -- and so this was the first attempt in a long time, and I gave it my all (whack!).

While I know this recipe is based upon Nigella's fond memories of eating in Northwest France, I have to say that this recipe really speaks to the German in me. My pulse started to race a little when I saw the potatoes browning, anticipating the meal to come. Despite my mustard hailing from Dijon, it all seemed so German!

Ich war sehr glücklich! I sipped my crisp white wine (Californian, but nevermind) and daydreamed of Autumn in Rhineland.
Once plated, I dug in like Augustus Gloop at the Rathskellar. It was fabulous! Yea, Nigella!

Of course the pork was a little tough. I don't know what to say about that, except that I didn't care too much, considering it was all swathed in the very tasty sauce. Next time, I'll try a different cut.
Viva La Nige.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa its a great dish. I also had a problem with the gnocchi and did garlic mash instead. I also used plain Dijon as hubby does not like the grain mustard and I also doubled up on the sauce. Next time I think I'll try making it with pork fillet.
Sandy
xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa...

The food in your picture looks so appetising.

I've made this recipe a couple of times and really enjoyed the flavour, but my pork chops were a bit tough. I did not use gnocchi, but small new potatoes, boiled.

However, I made it again last night but used good quality pork sausages from my local butcher, and had plain boiled wholegrain rice with green beans and broccoli. It was goooood.

btw....I use either creme fraiche or yoghurt instead of cream.

Jean (Livey)

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy, Lisa. I know what you mean about pork chops being tough. I've had some success with recipes that involve brining them.

Lisa said...

When I was last in Germany, I ate the best pork -- from a local, organic farm. It tasted nothing like what I get here. I think I'd like the creme fraiche version!

Anonymous said...

Ooooooo....that looks so good! Oh, excellent! and my book comes next week! Eek! Finally!

megan

Lady M said...

Amen! This was delish!! :)

Glad you enjoyed it!

xoxo
Ilana