Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A funny thing happened on the way to the soup pot.

My friend Julie's recent analysis of Mireille Guiliano's book French Women Don't Get Fat really inspired me. I was at the market the next day, and was struck by how gorgeous all the produce looked. Everything was bursting with color, looking fresh, bright, and healthful. So, I bought leeks, for the cleansing leek soup promoted in Guiliano's book, and I also bought a lot of fruit and some beautiful radishes and lettuces.
A few days passed, and my distractions prevented me from making the soup. Today, I realized that I had better get to it, or I'd have to toss the leeks into the canal for the fish!
I retrieved them from the fridge, trimmed & rinsed them clean, and chopped them all up.
Suddenly, I remembered one of my favorite recipes from my Patricia Wells Bistro Cooking book. This is one of those books I hold dear to my heart. It was by my side in the kitchen for a long time when I was learning how to cook, and I adore Patricia Wells as a result; I feel like she taught me how to cook!
Thus, it was a slippery slope when I next remembered that I actually had creme fraiche (that doesn't happen all the time), as well as some thawed sheets of puff pastry. What do you know -- I also had Gruyère.
The soup was but a memory as I proceeded to sautee the leeks in butter, grate the cheese onto the puff pastry, and beat a couple eggs with a spoonful of the creme fraiche.
Mm, mm, that's right. Butter, cream, eggs, cheese, puff pastry, and -- oh yes -- leeks!
Terribly wrong for not getting fat, but it looked so beautiful when it finished baking. All puffy, golden, and rich.

The polar opposite of detoxifying leek broth, I realize, but it simply had to be done. Bon Appétit!

7 comments:

Sandy said...

That looks delicious, and so much better than a broth soup.
I think I bought that Bistro book after you mentioned it. I haven't tried anything from it yet, but this may be the recipe I start with. Thank you, Lisa. Or should I say Merci beaucoup!

Paola Westbeek said...

some of my favorite ingredients! that looks SO darn good! to heck with the healthy soup!

paola

Lisa said...

Patricia gives the recipe for the real crust (I think a pate brise?) too, of course! (I cheated.)
Oh, and I sort of burned the leeks b/c I stepped away from the stove, but that made them taste really good.

vonsachsen said...

:D I would have chosen the leek pie too...looks so delicious!

Anonymous said...

That looks fabulous Lisa, so much better than a simple broth. Yum :)

George x

julie said...

Who needs leek broth when you can have leek quiche with cheese to boot? LOL It really looks delicious.

Sandy said...

Just wanted to add that I made this over the weekend and it was so yummy. Mine didn't puff up as much as yours, but it tasted amazing. Thank you, Lisa!