Monday, February 18, 2008

Karma at the Cafe

It has been said that the sour times in life make the good times seem all the sweeter, and I do believe that. Sometimes, we can't make sense of the bad events (big or small) in life, but later, when happiness returns, we can truly feel the impact of the juxtaposition. And I think that makes a happy experience just a little more meaningful.
A recent dispiriting exchange with a "tosser" (new word I've learned) at my favorite cafe left me in tears, and I was buoyed by some very thoughtful words and support from my friends, who set me straight again.
So. A new day, and I returned to my favorite cafe.
I was sitting outside, when someone quite familiar-looking walked by. My eyes popped, my jaw dropped, and I gasped excitedly: "IT'S HER!" Luckily, I had thrown my camera in my handbag before I left the house, and so I quickly grabbed it and shot up out of my seat.
"Excuse, me," I said, and the woman turned around and I could feel my face lighting up with joy as I reached for her hand.
It was Marcella Hazan!
I couldn't believe it! I introduced myself and told her how much I love her books and how my friends and I admired and appreciated her so very much. And I asked her if she would please take a picture with me.
She agreed, and was quite good-natured about my babbling. I don't know how often she gets bothered in public, and couldn't tell if she was used to it or if I startled her. Probably both!

I've never acted like such a fanatic, but I have to say that, as an Italophile, this, to me, was really fantastic. Furthermore, Marcella Hazan lives part-time in Venice, my favorite place in the world (I chattered about that, too). I wish I would have told her how, about a month ago, I'd been obsessed with making her Bolognese sauce and had such fun following her recipe, but in my excitement, I plum (tomatoes) forgot!
After I thanked her, and returned to my table and my puzzled mother-in-law, I saw that I was so excited my hands were shaking. The waitress shrugged and said to me, "I didn't know she was so famous. She's just Marcella to me."
I wish I could call my mother and tell her, because she was also a fan, and would have been so delighted at this lucky chance encounter.
After explaining what the hell had just happened to Madame X, who had been left trying to figure out who this woman was I'd bolted to stalk, I went on to enjoy one of the best platefuls of gnocchi I've ever eaten.

Light, with a strikingly simple tomato sauce. Perfect. (I wonder what Marcella ate.)
Griffin finished his meal with a delicious panna cotta, which, as we know, is similar to a flan, but better...with less EGGINESS!

What a great day! I am still smiling about it all.

Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking

5 comments:

Sandy said...

Lisa, that is fantastic! I am so glad you had this moment with someone you really admire. Especially with the lingering stench of the tosser at YOUR cafe!

I am struck by the amount of sun in the pictures, and lack of coats. :) And you look fabulous, by the way! What a great day.

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!!!! Egginess. I tried it on Sam and Mike and they thought it was a perfectly good word.

How wonderful to meet Marcella - I am off to Amazon to look around...I better watch it - I am broke.

megan

Paola Westbeek said...

Awesome!! That sounds like something quite magical to me (who truly believes in angels). :)

paola

vonsachsen said...

Yay! What a lucky day! I´m happy for you, not only that you have met Marcella there, but also because it was "right there"...I don´t believe in coincidences ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh Lisa,

I'm so sorry to break this to you, that was Myrtle Johnson, not Marcella Hazan. She is a pit bull breeder who goes by the name "mammy" in the Tampa area. Be careful of your dealings with her.

signed Anonymous (because I care for you and fear mammy retribution)