Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Fine Art of Travel

Tomorrow, Cooper & I are off to Montreal. We're both very excited. He's psyched about the plane ride (I, on the other hand, will take Ativan), and we both are excited to see our friends and the beautiful city of Montreal -- which everyone tells us we'll love.
Bad news: our hotel staff is on strike. So, according to my email advisory, there will be "No restaurant or bar service, and limited housekeeping."
Yeah, yeah, The Chambermaid can make her own bed, that's no concern. I am, however, spooked about the prospect of a sort of Anderson Cooper-in-Beirut scenario -- or worse -- "The Shining" with ghost twins in the hallway.
One thing is for sure: there will be no club sandwiches, damn it.
The last several trips I've taken have required suitcase check-in, but this trip is up for carry on -- of which I am a BIG fan. I like to breeze through.
Therefore, I have gone to great pains to check the size of my duffle bag, as well as the parameters of my airline's carry-on luggage. The federal security guidelines, however, present a bit of a freak-out fest for me.
According to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), there are a lot of guidelines for those wishing to carry on their baggage.
First of all, there's the 3-1-1 rule. You can take THREE ounces of liquids & gels -- no more! -- and you get ONE quart-size zip-lock bag. Period. So, I need to get mini versions of saline solution, etc., and I guess I will ditch my liquid foundation and any perfume bottles for "sample" or "travel" sizes.
I was not shocked to read that I cannot take boxcutters or sabers in my carry-on bag. Nor are guns, liquid bleach, or dynamite acceptable. One cannot take swords -- antique, gift, or otherwise, or sabers. Nor are Chinese throwing stars (a.k.a. Ninja stars), or nunchucks allowed.

Ice picks, hockey sticks, spear guns, and meat cleavers are also prohibited.
I am most curious to see what the security personnel say about the cookie cutter I will be packing. I guess travel is still an adventure, even if certain aspects have become monotonous and bizarre.

No comments: