Sunday, October 29, 2006

Bring back the charm bracelet


This week I happened to take out my Mom's charm bracelet. I attached it to my wrist, listening to the jingle-jangle as I worked, and stopping on more than one occasion to gaze at the little silver charms.
It's like a mental photo album, flooding my mind with remembrances of days gone by. There is a charm from her jeweler sister -- a silver B encased in a padlock, always a chic token from Tante Ingrid. The very sentimental "A Date to Remember," marking the day my Mom became an American citizen -- this was given to her by my grandmother, her mother-in-law, who my Mom said was always so kind to her. A zebra from Africa; a little stagecoach from Tombstone, Arizona, home of Wyatt Earp. My Mom & Dad travelled constantly and the bracelet is laden with snapshots from their life together. The Olympics in Los Angeles; Chinatown in San Francisco; Las Vegas; Jamaica; Bermuda; and a tiny 3-dimensional diver...from...could be any island. A miniscule pewter mug, reflective of the pewterware my Mom had, and visits to Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia. Rothenberg, one of many visits to her homeland. And a miniature windmill from the Netherlands. She loved Delft pottery, and while she travelled to The Netherlands a few times with my father, I'm lucky to have my own memories of the two of us (and Troy) together in Amsterdam & Delft, before Wyatt was born. We went to the Anne Frank house; ate ristofle at her urging (spectacular!); smoked outside at a cafe b/c "everyone was doing it; why not;" cruised the canals; and made a day-trip to Delft together, where we enjoyed a nice lunch all together in the sunshine.
It really is charming, this bracelet, and I have such vivid memories of not only the events, but the charms, too, that it makes my heart ache while simultaneously swelling with happy thoughts of special times. What a conversation piece. I gave it to Wyatt to have a look at, and he really was enthralled. We talked about my parents and various places, and spoke of adventures we hope to make together in the future. There is a small glass vial with a silver cap on my Mom's bracelet, and it contains earth from her hometown of Kassel, Germany. I remember when she received this, there was a celebration -- an anniversary marking. I always knew that it was significant in that it was a piece of where she came from, and her bracelet to me serves much the same purpose. You can look at it and see a tiny glimpse of, not the town, but the woman I came from.

3 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

How amazing that one piece of jewellery can bring back all those wonderful memories!
It truly is, even more, than the sum of it's parts.
To call it a bracelet is hardly doing it justice.
It is a 'life works'.
It is a master-piece!
I'm so glad that you have it.
(You could write an entire book around it!! :-) )
xxx

Anonymous said...

Exquisitely written! I'm touched.

Lea xo

Anonymous said...

Lovely Lisa. My Mum had a charm bracelet as well... though I haven't seen it in some time. I must ask if she still has it and dig it out for a look. I used to love wearing it as a child and hearing it jangle as a went. :o)