Sunday, October 08, 2006

La Torta alla Gianduia

This, from HTBADG, is a.k.a. "The Nutella Cake."
Well, what's not to like? Butter, sugar, eggs, Nutella, hazelnuts, and chocolate!

I opted for the rum over the Frangelico in the recipe -- La Nige offers a choice, of course. The ganache is simply chocolate, cream, and a tablespoon of rum melted and whisked together.
Baking is not my forte, and the cake sank after it cooled -- if anyone can tell me why, please do! But it did not affect the taste, the cake was delicious. Very, very rich & intense. I could only handle a sliver.

This was worth the wait, and worthy of the occasion, my darling's pre-birthday dinner!

5 comments:

Lady M said...

Looks gorgeous. Happy Birthday, Troy!!!

xoxo
Ilana

p.s. why did it sink? Perhaps the great change in temperature from the oven to the kitchen? It sounds like a dense cake so maybe it should sink. Well you can't tell anyway. :)

Kathryn said...

Mmmm... I have made this cake three or four times in the past, but not, I think, in the last 4 years! I feel an urge coming on.

It was never a light airy cake - it is flourless, isnt it? which might explain why it sank (I can't recall if mine did or not...).

Sometimes I use that ganache and hazelnut topping to top ordinary chocolate cakes because the topping looks so fab!

Kathryn x

Anna's kitchen table said...

It looks amazing, sinking or not!
I must give it a go..
xx

julie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
julie said...

Oh, wonderful, I love your pics and that candle! I must must must make it soon!

Jx

PS I can't wait to hear about the dessert palace;)