Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Comfort in the guise of dairy products


Finally, a day with no appointments, no plans, no visitors, and no obligations. Just a chance to relax, regroup, and try to read some of the books that have been piling up. I made macaroni & cheese for the boys and myself for lunch.
My Grandmother was a woman of great kindness and some talents, for example, she was a good pianist and also played the organ for her church, but when it came to cooking, she was virtually inept. I'd even go so far as to say she was notoriously disastrous in the kitchen. However, Grandma could make one dish -- one: macaroni & cheese; and at this, she excelled! It was always very special to visit her and my Grandpa, they were the nicest people, and I always asked her ahead of time if she would make mac & cheese for me, which of course she always did.
Paula Deen has a great recipe in her cookbook The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook or, what Troy and I call The Stick o' Butter Cookbook. I didn't consult it today, but have used it enough that I can go on memory...it ought to be submitted to the American Dairy Association for an award, b/c it's all butter, cheese, sour cream, & eggs. It does taste like what my Grandma used to make me, though, and it's delicious.

The Lady's Cheesy Mac
Serves 6 to 8
4 cups cooked elbow macaroni, drained (aprrox. 2 cups uncooked)
2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, cut into pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk, or equivalent in evaporated milk
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. After macaroni has been boiled and drained, add Cheddar cheese while macaroni is still hot. Combine remaining ingredients and add to macaroni mixture. Pour into casserole dish and bake for 30 to 45 minutes. Top with additional cheese, if desired.

And turn off the phone.

3 comments:

julie said...

This mac & cheese sounds good! Perfect comfort dish! A must make this winter;)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, sounds quick and easy and delish! Must try this :)

Anonymous said...

I'm making it tonight!

KJxx