Thursday, March 20, 2008

She does get a gold star

When I first read about Denise Acabo and her Pigalle confectionery shop, I knew that one day, I would have to pay her a visit.
It was not just that her L'Etoile D'Or is stocked with the finest chocolates & candies in the world that I found intriguing, but also the fact that Denise wears braids and a traditional schoolgirl outfit. The combination was just too much for me to bypass. Also, she gift-wraps her treats in comic pages. All great choices!
I couldn't wait!
We took a taxi directly to her door, as I did not have time to dilly-dally around. Denise opened the door of her shop and came out onto the sidewalk to greet us and make sure all was alright with the taxi driver. She speaks in rapid-fire French, and welcomed us heartily as we followed her into the shop, delighted by the feast for our eyes.

The boys were rendered speechless by Denise and the glittering array of chocolates and candies they found themselves surrounded by.

Mirrored walls multiplied the shop's contents, transporting us to a Wonka-like room of deliciousness. When I told Denise that I'd read about her in the blogs of Clotilde and David Lebovitz, she enthusiastically showed me a bevy of press clippings and raved about David. She clearly adores him as much as he likes her.
The whole experience had my head spinning so much that after selecting a little assortment of chocolates from one glass case, and grabbing a bag of salted butter caramels for Troy, I forgot to get the big bar of Bernachon that I'd had my eye on!
Wahhh!
Upon taking our leave, Denise gave us explicit instructions on catching the right bus to the top of the hill, as well as an entertaining tutorial on how to spot pick-pockets. She was sweet. Nothing less than what I expected.

When I arrived home, I found that I actually had selected, amidst the flurry, one bite-sized piece of Bernachon chocolate filled with salted-butter caramel. It was seriously smashed from travelling, but still perfect to me, and I savored every nibble.

L'Etoile d'Or
Denise Acabo
30 rue Fontaine
75009 Paris

3 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

What a lovely post Lisa! :-)
Denise looks, shall we say, interesting?! :-) I would love to visit there
xx

Anonymous said...

I've just caught up with your blog about your fabulous holiday! It sounds like an incredible trip (with lots of wonderful food). I just wanted to say how impressed I am by Wyatt and Griffin - they sound like great travelling companions (especially without the barfing this year!).

Anonymous said...

Where's my pit bull breeder comment? You're just like the man - always keeping me down.