Wednesday, April 02, 2008

All hail Ellie Krieger!

I bought Ellie Krieger's cookbook, The Food You Crave, with interest. I'd tried and loved her green bean salad recipe. It's fantastic!
Krieger is a registered dietitian and nutritionist who takes a very healthy approach to cooking without sacrificing flavor and satisfaction. I've really come to admire her.
I like working in more super foods whenever I can, and want to eat healthfully, but can't abide by some of the more draconian cookbooks that suggest vegetarianisn and all whole foods; they just don't interest me. Nor do I happen to have a great sweet tooth, so I am not one to look for rich desserts or recipes that contain a lot of sugar.
Krieger's book strikes the perfect balance.
The Food You Crave contains recipes stocked with powerful nutrients from high-quality, fresh fruits and vegetables and low-fat protein sources. The dishes are flavor-packed through the use of spices and vinegars, and other ingredients like yogurt and buttermilk. It makes me feel good to know I'm getting a lot of nutritional bang for my buck, eating food that is loaded with anti-oxidants and yet tastes really good, not dull.

Every recipe includes nutritional values and what the foods are good for, like if something is an excellent source of calcium or vitamin A, for example.
In addition to the green bean salad, I've made the mustard-maple chicken, Asian-style three-bean salad, chocolate cherry-almond biscotti, triple chocolate cookies, and everything tastes delicious!
Beyond that, which is actually enough in and of itself, I really am pleased to read Krieger's philosophy that no foods should be forbidden, or off-limits; that such thinking only leads to feelings of deprivation and ensuant backlash. I heartily agree that it's better to have a smaller amount of a good-quality, real ingredient rather than more of its fake substitute, which usually tastes sub-par and may contain chemicals.
I'm looking forward to cooking more recipes from this book, and highly recommend it, if this sort of style appeals to you.
Krieger has a show called Healthy Appetite, on the Food Network. More information on her, her books, and access to recipes and videos can be found at the Food TV site.

9 comments:

Sandy said...

Ok, if I wasn't convinced earlier, I am now! I am buying this book. Thanks for the great review!

Sarah said...

Hey Lisa,

Looks great! I love biscotti!

I love the idea of healthy yummy food, and knowing the health benefits of each dish is definitely a plus!!

xox Sarah

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of Ellie Krieger before now Lisa, all that food looks so good I'll have to look out for her more often.

Sarah Nicole said...

I've been eyeing this book for a while. I'm glad to see your so enthusiastic about it. It makes me want to get it even more. I like her show and her recipes make sense. I can't wait to try them out for myself.

julie said...

Interesting review, Lisa :)
The food network site has tons of her recipes to sample.

Lisa said...

Yes, if you don't want to get the book right now, Food TV has a ton of her recipes to try!
The mustard-maple chicken is so easy, too! Hard to believe it can be so delicious when it's so simple.
And she's got me sold on using whole-wheat pastry flour now. I think it makes the chocolate taste even better b/c it provides a subtle contrast.

Kelly-Jane said...

I've had this book on-my-wishlist then off-my-wishlist so many times. It's going back on again!

Anna's kitchen table said...

I've been waiting for what seems like aaaaaages for this book from Amazon! :-(
Hopefully it'll arrive soon! Everything looks great Lisa - you know I'm a great superfood-lover too!
xxx

Lady M said...

Thanks for the review! I'm going to give the FN recipes a try, and if all works out, this will go into my basket. Thanks!

xoxo
Ilana