Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Everybody's All-American

This is the Hob Nob, my favorite place in Sarasota to get a hamburger & fries.

The entire restaurant is outdoors, under cover, but with no walls. You can sit at the bar; at a high table-for-two; or at one of the long picnic tables, which you share with other diners...perhaps to hobnob.

The place has been around for 50 years, an American classic serving every echalon of society -- you might sit next to a sheriff, or you might sit next to someone who's been on "Cops!" you never know.
^Clearly from the latter group.^
There's a pretty extensive menu, as well as a blackboard of Daily Specials, and yet I've actually never had anything here but a hamburger and fries! The chili dogs are reportedly excellent.
Once you place your order, your waitress (and they're all waitresses) prints out a chit and sets it in front of you with a clothespin so it doesn't blow away in the wind.

And apparently the Hob Nob is open seven days a week. As Johnnie Carson used to say: I did not know that.
Here's Cooper with a tasty chocolate milkshake.

The regular hamburger, not to be confused with the Hob Nob Burger, which I believe is a double-decker. Troy and I immediately placed a bet that I would not make it through lunch without getting some of this on my white dress.

The fries. They're crinkle fries. Everything is served in the waxed paper it comes wrapped up in, or in a basket with a waxed paper liner.

Troy had a blackened Tilapia sandwich, one of the day's specials.

All done. All clear. All good.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make it seem like a wonderful place, Lisa. Very all-American, as you say. (I shudder to think what a mess I'd make if I tried to wear a white dress and eat a hamburger.)

Sandy said...

Oh, this is my kind of joint! And I would love to people watch there.
It reminds me of the places I loved in Cape Cod, only a beef eating, chili dog version.

Anonymous said...

I want to eat there!

And Lisa, Is that your linen Boden dress?

Lisa said...

Karen, believe me, that is a first for me! ha
Sandy, it is fun to people-watch there.
Anli, it's not the linen dress, but the "cotton dobby" ruffle one from the latest summer offerings (black slip underneath).

Anonymous said...

The Coopmeister is growing up!!!
xo
Jody

Anonymous said...

LRo - you're gonna have to tell me where that place is! Looks like a mom 'n pop Carl's Jr. Has that opposite theme of 'an apple a day keeps the Dr away', but who cares you only live once and that is the place to be seen.

I'm there(!) and willing to the 'white dress' challenge...I mean white shirt.

Finally, a blog post for us dudes! I'm gonna have to consider you for blogger of the year after this post. <- don't go getting a big head now that I said that and ruin it with a 'Sex In The City' movie reivew.

Wimpy

Lisa said...

Hey Wimpy, it's South of MLK Jr. Blvd. -- on the corner of 301 & 17th. One thing I forgot to mention is that you can SMOKE at the HobNob. Now I suppose you want me to do a post on the Marie Selby Gardens orchid hot house.
Love,
LRo

Anonymous said...

I love traditional, specially the crinkle cut chips, oops sorry fries :)!!!and i love your necklace. What is in that sandwich that Troy is eating, never heard of that before?
Tx

Lisa said...

Hi T :) - Tilapia is a fish that is pretty widely available here in FL, along with the very popular grouper, which you can get in a sandwich, too. Grilled, blackened, or fried are the choices usually.
And thank you, the necklace is made up of "petal" pearls (freshwaters).
L. xoxo

vonsachsen said...

Seems like you hade a good eat and a very nice time:)
It is so strange that I am crazy for these all-american places (in my fantasy of course :D) browsing for photos on flickr, reading books and trying to make cafe-style recipes and for you it´s just to step outside your door (well, almost;)) and you are...
May I please be just a tiny bit envious?

vs
xx

Lisa said...

Eva! Anytime you want to do a house swap, just say the word. You may know I am obsessed w/Sweden

vonsachsen said...

hihi, Lisa, yesterday? Of course, I wouldn´t know what to do with all those pipes you just got, but those guys might be lending a hand ;P
I hope you figure it out soon and are up and going. Good luck with it!!