Monday, July 28, 2008

A Room of One's Own

The nursery here has been up for grabs for some time, and while I had planned on taking it over as "my" room, for writing and sewing, Griffin has broken out with other ideas.
The other night, we watched My Family and Other Animals, in which a young Gerald Durrell has his own room filled with various critters in their nests and cages. It made quite an impression on Griffin, and the next morning he asked if he could have the nursery as his own room. He also wants a bird.
That night, I heard thumping sounds coming from above, and asked Troy if he knew what was going on. He said that Griffin keeps going into the room and rearranging the existing furniture, which includes a crib that needs to be dismantled, and a chaise, which was for me. He set up picnic blankets on the floor with stuffed animals, and has lined up his little Lego people on the nightstand.
"He's going for Squatter's Rights," I thought. Still, I had to admit I was getting caught up in his enthusiasm.
Then, today, I found this charming Marimekko Metsanvaki ("Forest Dwellers") print bedding, which I thought would be perfect for Griffin's room, and had to concede my claim on the space.

We are not getting a bird, though.
Well, certainly not an owl.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lisa,

My fave book of all time. I read it EVERY summer. How wonderful for Griffin.

Melanie

Kelly-Jane said...

Maybe you'll get a corner of the room for yourself? :)

Very pretty bedding covers!

KJxx

Lady M said...

How sweet!!! :) I hope he enjoys his new room.

I love Marimekko anything. H&M had a collection last Spring -- it was beautiful, but all the clothes were made for people 6' tall and over.

xoxo
Ilana

Anonymous said...

LOL! They move quickly in your family don't they!

Please talk to me about birds. I have had quite a few, and regret a few of the purchases sincerely.

Anonymous said...

I've been in that room. It's perfect size for a drum set. Come oooon mom, pleeeeease.

Sandy said...

I love the bedding too!

Anonymous said...

ooooh, mom: How about a hedgehog? They are clean, prefer being solitary and would enjoy it if Griffin built a mini city for it with hidey spots, etc. cute, intelligent little creatures...velly British!
Gail Clarke

Lisa said...

Gail! Griffin has a stuffed hedgehog that was just torn apart by Friday. He's undergoing a series of plastic surgeries.