Saturday, August 09, 2008

Costumes & confusion

Things have been just a little "off" around here.
It's August, but the boys had their own personal Halloween celebration yesterday. Here's Scooby Doo trying to get upstairs.

Meanwhile, Harry has been wearing this outfit all week.

It strikes me as very John Galliano-ish, so who knows, maybe he's onto something and will make a splash in Paris in the future.
I was happy to finally get into the kitchen and make something -- Bill Granger's yogurt panna cotta, a favorite. If you've never tried this, from the excellent Bill's Open Kitchen, you must, it's so delicious.

Bill's Yogurt Pannacotta
375 ml (1 1/2 ups) cream
115 g (1/2 cup) caster (superfine) sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
10 g (1/4 oz) sachet of gelatine powder
500 g (2 cups) skim milk yogurt
*

The problem was that I did not have a vanilla bean. Well, I actually did, but forgot I did. So I used vanilla extract instead. That is, I thought I did. When we tasted the pannacotta after impatiently waiting for the little portions to chill, they tasted a little...strange. Good, but strange. That's when I realized I'd grabbed the almond extract instead of the vanilla. Oops.
I guess this week has been a reflection of life in our house this summer: a little offbeat, a little confused, but still nice.



*Place the cream & sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat. Using the point of a knife, scrape the vanilla bean seeds into the saucepan before adding the entire bean. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, then just bring to the boil before removing from the heat. Discard the vanilla bean. Pour 125 ml (1/2 cup) of the cream mixture into a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatine powder over the top and whisk with a fork until smooth. Pour back into the saucepan and stir until the gelatine has completely dissolved. Add the yogurt and whisk until smooth. Strain the mixture through a fine seive and divide between eight 125 ml moulds, cover w/plastic wrap and chill for 3 hours or until just set.
To serve, dip each mould into hot water for a few seconds, making sure the water only comes halfway up the sides. Place a plate on top and invert the pannacotta. Serve immediately.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Har, I see Harry has the pirate spirit with thar shirt.

Remember folks, International Talk Like A Pirate day is September 19th. Really. Search the web and you'll see I be not talkin' skat. I know there are some people here reading Lisa's (blogger of the year 2008) blog from far off lands - so join in Sept. 19th.

BTW - this post was not submitted by Lisa and not intended to sway the judges for the 2009 blogger awards.

Signed,

Anonymous (not Lisa)

Kelly-Jane said...

I'm glad to read that Bill's lighter panna cotta is good - I'll have to give it a whirl soon.

Great costumes!

Anonymous said...

"a little offbeat, a little confused, but still nice."
sums things up, doesn't it?!

Sandy said...

It sounds easier than a custard, I might try this!

Oh, I love the costumes, and sometimes the weirder things are, the better.

Anna's kitchen table said...

Harry looks so cute, bless him!
xx