Saturday, August 16, 2008

Motor city madhouse

But, lucky me, my work is play. -Terrible Ted

Last night we had a birthday party for my friend, Sally, and we had so much fun it refueled my flagging desire to host parties.
While planning, I asked Sally about some of her specific likes/dislikes in tastes, and then planned accordingly. Two inspiring details were that she likes the color red, and loves chocolate. I therefore set out a red tablecloth & red votives; got red balloons, red napkins, and concocted a drink using raspberry puree. I also bought flowers, and put them in a vase but kept the bag for them so that, at the end of the night, Sally could take them home.
One time we went to this birthday party, held at a Ritz-Carlton, for a very spoiled girl I'll call Sydney, and they had a drink named "The Sydney," which I thought was so funny. I reminded Troy of this, and we knew we had to make up a drink for the occasion. After a thorough discussion, I decided on Champagne, raspberry sorbet, and a maraschino cherry, and Troy christened it "The Sally-Bo-Bally."
I couldn't find any raspberry puree or syrup whilst shopping, and was pressed for time, so I bought raspberry fruit sorbet, and thought "this is the same thing w/out the cooking down & straining." Theoretically, the idea seemed sound, but in actuality, I think the sorbet made the Champagne bubble up more than a puree would have -- certainly more than a syrup would have. So, a lot overflowed and there was spillage mess. But the Sally-Bo-Bally was still a tasty cocktail, despite the volcano effect.

The cake had to be chocolate, Sally's favorite. Furthermore, she and I both grew up in Detroit, where there were these ice cream parlors called Sanders. One of the specialties of Sanders was "bumpy cake," which is chocolate cake covered with buttercream bumps and then a chocolate ganache icing. I found the recipe for the cake, and decided to forego the bumps b/c I didn't want to experiment w/a new recipe. I used a ganache recipe I knew worked, and luckily the cake turned out perfect. It was delicious.

Here's the recipe.

Chocolate cake
1/2 c. hot black coffee or water
1/2 c. cocoa
1/2 c. oil
1 c. buttermilk
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 t. vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 c. sugar
2 c. flour

In large bowl, combine coffee and cocoa; beat on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add oil; beat for 30 seconds; add buttermilk; beat for 30 seconds; add baking soda; beat for 30 seconds; add salt; beat for 30 seconds; add vanilla; beat for 30 seconds; add eggs; beat for 30 seconds; add sugar; beat for 30 seconds. Add flour; beat for 5 minutes. Batter will be very bubbly. Pour batter into greased round tins and bake at 375F for 25-30 minutes.

Ganache frosting
1/2 pound fine-quality semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/4 stick (1/8 cup) unsalted butter
Spread a layer of ganach between the cooled cake layers, and then pour the remainder over the whole cake.



Before everyone arrived, I put together a party playlist w/a Detroit theme, with music ranging from Aretha Franklin to Iggy Pop to the White Stripes. Oh -- and don't forget Madonna (who celebrates her birthday today)! We made Sally guess what the thread was tying all the tunes together, and it took her a little while, but the lightbulb went off when "Workin' Hard, Playin' Hard" by Ted Nugent came on. The inspiration for this idea comes from Rachel, who makes me a great CD every year for my bday. I always love it, and -- as our man Colin Cowe says -- these thoughtful details make all the difference in life! Sally said she had so much fun & felt very special, which made me, in turn, very happy.

11 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

Lisa, you're such a thoughtful friend! I know that from my own experience too. :-)
I love that Sally got a drink named after her, it sounds wonderful!
Anna xxx

Sarah said...

Awesome Party Lisa!

That cake looks gorgeous, and I love the idea of the Detroit mix-tape! Colin would be so proud.

xox Sarah

julie said...

What a nice party and thoughtful ideas! I wish we lived closer so I could drink a Julie cocktail on my bday;-)

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous cake Lisa.

Kelly-Jane said...

Your cake looks fab! and you cake plate / stand too, it looks like a sand dollar to me :)

Lisa said...

Trust me, I have names in my head for cocktails for ALL of you! So someday!
Sarah, like at the party you threw for your mom, I put out candles galore! Key element!

Anonymous said...

Great party Lisa! love the cake
and all your thoughtful details. you're such a good friend.
Tx

Anonymous said...

Whooow whoooow, even a party thread to accompany the party post. Now that's how Lisa got blogger of the year 2008. Here comes the after party post (go Lisa go Lisa, an after party post).


Lisa - We both know who Sydney is; AND she is not going to take kindly to thar words of spoil. So here is my hush demand:

- I want my own drink, Pirate name and theme...before Sept. 19th :)


I lived in Detroit too. The real story about the Sanders bumpy cake was the County jail would see these odd bumps in the delivered cake (from Sanders). Those bumps were shivs and knives. Authentic Detroit recipe would have added one line: 1 shiv

And don't eeeeven get me started about Rachel.

Signed, Tripod (a "Cat Scratch Fever" tribute)

Sandy said...

You really sound like the best hostess, Lisa. That cake looks scrumptous.

Anonymous said...

I'm late posting here but what the heck. It sounds like the most incredible party! And I love the Detroit mix tape.

But no Slim Shady?

Lisa said...

Hey Karen! Definitely had some Slim Shady. And Kid Rock. And MC5.