Wednesday, October 01, 2008

J'adore Tim Gunn

I just finished reading Tim Gunn's wonderful book, A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style, which I really enjoyed.
I'm not a big watcher of "Project Runway," but do think the charming and dashing Mr. Gunn is the highlight of that show. His book is an interesting & fun read, with gems of advice that had me chuckling throughout.

One of the features he includes in his book is a list of "films of style." Gunn recommends the following films not "solely for their wardrobes -- even though many of them are exemplary." A great list, very much appreciated, and definitely worth sharing:

Blow-Up
Doctor Zhivago
The Women
Auntie Mame
Dark Victory
Persona
The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer
The Palm Beach Story
The Fountainhead
Funny Face
Dinner at Eight
The Philadelphia Story
All About Eve
Austin Powers
Sleeper
L'Avventura
Valley of the Dolls
The Devil Wears Prada
Infamous
Metropolitan
The Draughtsman's Contract
The Go-Between
Prospero's Books
Grey Gardens
Mildren Pierce
Last Year at Marienbad
Masculin Feminin
Funny Girl
Shampoo
Desk Set
A Place in the Sun
Cleopatra

Some of these, like "Auntie Mame" are all-time favorites of mine, and others -- I've never even heard of, so I'm thrilled. I hope you find something you like on this list, too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've only seen a few of those. But the list includes some of my favorites, like "Philadelphia Story."

I hadn't watched "Project Runway" until recently but now I am kind of hooked. In general I find that "reality" shows like "American Idol," and "Dancing With the Stars" _ and "Top Chef" and "Project Runway" _ are the only shows Margaret and I can both enjoy. She wouldn't like grown-up sitcoms or dramas. And I loathe the tween-targeted Disney shows that she adores.

Anonymous said...

Agreed.
Tim is great, and "Make it work" seems like good advice to me.
I like his list, though he seems to have forgotten "Rear Window"...Grace's black-and-white dress is one of the all-time great movie looks!

Lisa said...

Karen, Wyatt loves reality TV and we have had some good laughs at different shows.

E., that's true! And even Jimmy in his jammies looked good. That last scene is one of my favorites :).

Anonymous said...

Yes! I love "Rear Window!" And that dress!

Anonymous said...

Lisa: Interesting that you find Deliverance scary...I find myself humming "dueling Banjos" often when with the clients on my caseload. Another movie title that "represents" is Midnight in The Garden of Good and Evil...so very Southern y'all.
Gail Clarke or
gypsysole1024@yahoo.com

Lisa said...

Hi Gail!
I LOVE "Midnight!" and everything in it. We did a road trip to Savannah once and had a blast.
I still don't want any part of any "Deliverance" representin'!!!!
L. xoxo