Thursday, January 01, 2009

The charlotte finally graces our table

When I was in Montreal, Rachel tutored me in how to make a charlotte, and I was supposed to make this a month or so ago to prove I'd been paying attention. Finally, I got it done, and we ate it after fondue last night.

Rachel's recipe is from her friend's mother and is vrai French. There is no gelatin used, like in most of the recipes in our Madame Charlotte cookbook, and yet it sets up beautifully simply from chilling for a few hours.
The ladyfingers were soaked in a mixture of rum & water, and then the filling is a chocolate mousse made w/over 200 g. of bittersweet chocolate and four separated eggs -- whites whipped. It was very delicious and intensely chocolatey!
I think my teacher will be quite proud.

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Oh, it looks so pretty!
Happy New Year!!!

Rachel said...

Oh! I am bursting with pride! Brava, bella.
The french have an expression " l'élève dépasse le maitre" which means the student becomes the master. If you remember mine collapsed upon turning out, whereas yours looks perfect! Pass me a spoon :)

Sarah said...

That looks delicious!

Happy new year!

xox Sarah

Kelly-Jane said...

It looks very good indeed, rum and chocolate and cake, yum!

Happy New Year to you and yours Lisa.

KJxx

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I am worshipping this fabulously decadent dessert!!!

Anna's kitchen table said...

Happy new year, dear Lisa!
I'm afraid I've not been around much (or as much as I'd like!)
Rachel appears to have been a very fine teacher indeed! :-)
xxx