Sunday, January 18, 2009

Valentine's Day is the new Christmas

Christmas was sort of a blur this year. Maybe because Thanksgiving was late, maybe because I was preoccupied, but I enter January feeling as if I've been steamrolled and left with amnesia.
Valentine's Day is coming up, and I think it's the perfect holiday to get into.

Venus & Cupid, Lorenzo Lotto

There's enough cushion-space that it's not going to take me by surprise -- I recognize that it is 26 days away, which is half the battle of any event. There's no religion involved, no real pressure to decorate or gift a thousand fringe people like the UPS driver (who, in my case, is so efficiently speedy I still have his Christmas card sitting by the door).
While it's true that some people will lament the lack of a lover, I maintain that we all have someone to love. I appreciate a holiday, symbolized by the heart, that exists solely to encourage the expression of love; the eating of chocolate; and the wearing of red, which happens to be my favorite color.

My mom had a dear friend with whom she exchanged valentines every year, and I have taken over the tradition with her. She's a great fan of all things vintage, so I'm looking for the perfect valentine to send her.
My other VD plans include making red velvet cupcakes, and participating in a romantic novel chain with some friends -- I can't wait to find out who "my person" is.
I'm eyeing this Blondie album for a certain special someone...

...and this book on all things Italian for someone else (me, ha).

But like JLo says, my love don't cost a thing, so while a small token of affection is lovely, the gift of love is priceless & perfect, and my Cupid's bow will be taking aim.
If you remain unconvinced, or are tempted to utter a pessimistic grumbling about a commercial/Hallmark holiday, your assignment is to go watch one or all of these films, stat, with a bowl of M&Ms nearby.




"Houseboat" with Cary Grant & Sophia Loren.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lisa! I have ALL of those films and love them! Are you a fan of High Society"?
Melanie

Sarah said...

Oh, I loooove About a Boy!

Could really go for some M&M's now too, lol.

xox Sarah

Lisa said...

Mel, I love High Society for Grace, and I love Frank, but can't get behind Bing as a romantic lead. I like trying to get a glimpse of her engagement ring!
I need to add "Houseboat" to the list.
Sarah, AaB is so funny. "Killing Me Softly."
L. xoxo

Jane said...

I adore Houseboat - I've wanted to live in one ever since seeing it. And I agree that everyone has someone to love! Valentines Day is the anniversary of the first day I saw Lola and took her home with me - I never feel sad on 14th Feb - she's the love of my life... xxx

Anna's kitchen table said...

Christmas was a bit of a blur for me too this year.
I may join you in the Valentine's day festivities!