Monday, April 21, 2008

A saboteur in our midst

Wyatt's Science class held a bake sale at school in honor of Earth Day, with the proceeds to be donated to a Florida state park. Wyatt and I decided to make cupcakes for the event. I eschewed the red velvet cake (which I thought might be popular with the kids) for a golden sponge cake mix, so as not to taint the little bodies of hopeful children with too much red dye.

I made cream cheese icing, as usual (it is my favorite), and got out all my pretty sprinkles and decorations. Leaning toward a Spring-like theme, I topped the cupcakes with pastel-colored flowers & butterflies, pink & blue sparkly sugars, and silver and gold hearts.

They were so attractive that the boys were begging to eat them, and so I decided to hold a Pre-Sale, like Nordstrom. The boys lined up in the kitchen and handed over money from their piggy banks.

I wasn't quite sure what the going rate was, or what the school was going to charge for the cupcakes, but ended up with $9.50, which was completely arbitrary, but I thought pretty good for four.


My work finished, I retired to my bedroom with a book, and soon fell asleep. My jarring awakening came in the form of Cooper, his face popping up at the side of my bed. Focusing my eyes, I slowly realized that his mouth & cheeks were covered with cream cheese frosting.
Merde!
I raced downstairs to the kitchen and my fears were confirmed: Cooper had sullied almost all of the cupcakes.
My beauties! My beauties!
He'd plucked off all of the silver and gold hearts, licked the icing away, and nibbled the tops off of almost all the cupcakes.
Austalians, did you hear my scream?

There were five untouched -- only because they were on a plate located high out of his reach.
The little perp knew he was going to have to deal with the Wrath of Mom, so he hid. Not very well. Weasel.

I broke the news to Wyatt, and we briefly toyed with the idea of selling the cupcakes at half-price, but in the end, he just took in the five good ones. In the end, they sold for 25 cents each.
Me: Twenty-five cents??
Wyatt: Or maybe 50 cents.
Me: That's all?
I guess I was charging Manhattan prices, while his Science class was charging Dust Bowl prices. I'm glad they made some money, even though it may not be quite enough to contribute a wee sapling to a state park. But at those prices, I couldn't feel too bad about Cooper eating the lion's share of our product. I won't let him know that, however. Penance will be extracted from his widdle college fund, at NY pre-sale prices.
Momma needs a new pair of shoes. (Earth shoes, of course.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my Lisa they looked so good too. Gotta hand it to cooper though, he's got good taste going for cream cheese icing, yum :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cupcakes, Lisa. But Manhattan prices, at least at Margaret's school, are $1 a cupcake. Probably more on the Upper East Side.

Sandy said...

Oh my God, that is too funny! I love how you made them pay for them.
And what a little cutey you have there, although sneaky! ;) Did he crash from the sugar rush?

Anna's kitchen table said...

I love that pic of Cooper hiding - priceless!! :-)

Your cakes are/were? beautiful!!

xxx

Rachel said...

What beautiful works of art they WERE! I recognise those silver hearts too :)

vonsachsen said...

Lisa, please drop by my blog, it´s raining...guess what? not man :(

vs
xx

Lady M said...

LOL! Classic.

xoxo
Ilana