Thursday, May 08, 2008

Bloom Where You're Planted

Oliver Douglas: Fresh air!
Lisa Douglas: Times Sqvare!


While I often feel like Lisa Douglas here in Hooterville, donning Ferragamo pumps to the local postal shack where there may or may not be a pig on the side of the road, I do try to find all things special & unique in my environment.
For a long time I have noted a hand-painted sign advertising STRAWBERRY MILKSHAKES on the side of the main road. I love strawberry ice cream, and recently finally pulled over to fuel up the boys on our way home from school. They are always so hungry after school, and I thought, "Why not." Take the edge off.

Driving over a set of railroad tracks, we were smack on the front section of a farm. I pulled right up to the tiny shack and ordered strawberry shakes -- the only menu item besides strawberry shortcake -- and chatted with the gal making them. She and her family ran the farm, and apparently the strawberry season was just wrapping up. She was quite sweet and charming, and we talked about her little sister, a budding musician and scholarship student. Then I noticed the flowers behind the shack.
"Are those snapdragons?" I inquired.
They were! she confirmed, and added that they often sell them to local florists, who jack up the price x 4. I adore snapdragons and they remind me of my childhood, because I remember a kind neighbor showing me how you could pinch the flowerheads on their sides to make them look like they're talking. I never miss an opportunity to make the boys giggle by making a snapdragon say something to them like, "Hello! What's your name?"
Although it's not exactly a scene from the Luxembourg Gardens, I thought the flowers were pretty.

I got the shakes and passed them up, then got back into the car, buckled up, said thanks, and drove off. We were on our merry way, and the strawberry shakes were deeeeelicious.

Farther down the road, there were little black pigs milling about and rooting through the grass. I thought of Arnold Ziffle, adjusted my crystal-bedecked sunglasses, and smiled.

Green Acres fans click here.

2 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

What a lovely interlude to a Spring day!
xx

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! And milkshakes! Yum!

I know I feel transported back to childhood when I stop at the local organic prduce shack - just like San Jose in the 1960's!!

Megan