Monday, May 12, 2008

Now We Are Three

On Saturday we celebrated Cooper turning three. It was a busy but chilled-out day, and he seemed to really enjoy himself.
We went to Wyatt's soccer game in the morning, and hung out afterwards with everyone, eating pizza. There was so much pizza that we were sent home with a box.
Cooper is getting so big. Lucky is hovering in the background, hoping some pizza will be dropped.

Cooper requested a chocolate birthday cake, so I made the Chocolate Fudge cake (a.k.a. If-You've-Been-Chucked cake) from Nigella Bites. I tweaked the frosting, deciding to use only one stick of butter in the frosting instead of the two suggested, and I added some heavy whipping cream. I think it was a good call, as the frosting was buttery enough with just one stick. Then I wasn't sure I had enough frosting, so I spread Nutella between the two cake layers and used the frosting to cover the cake.

Here's my f-i-l -- isn't he cute?

He was diggin' the appetizers, which I had to place high on the countertop so that the little dog wouldn't eat them -- he takes it as a free-for-all if there's food within striking distance. So, we had jumbo shrimp & cocktail sauce; Giada's Italian hummus and toasted pita wedges; and hot crab dip & Triscuits. The crab dip recipe is from Michelle's m-i-l, and I liked it so much it's going in the ol' party repertoire.
And then there was Frito Pie. This is great party food.

Cooper got some great presents, including this sword, which he loved. Here he is practicing some Jedi moves on Troy.

The new pup may not have a name, but he got a party hat...

...and struck up a love affair with my m-i-l, Gina.

The boys liked the cake a lot.

And Cooper wound up the day as a swashbuckling super-hero. As it should be.

Happy Birthday, Baby!

11 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

Ah, how lovely! Thanks for sharing Cooper's birthday pics! He's grown so big now - and isn't that just the cutert pic ever of Mr. No-name doggie?!
Love, love, love it!
xxx

Anonymous said...

What absolutely wonderful photos! It was obviously a great party. Happy birthday to Cooper. And I love, love, love how the new pup has bonded with the family.

Sandy said...

Oh, wow, your baby is 3! He is pretty darn cute with those huge eyes.
Happy Birthday Cooper!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness - that Cooper has THE dimples!!!

megan

julie said...

Happy Birthday Cooper! Not a baby anymore, he looks so grown!

And all your food looks fab!

Kelly-Jane said...

How wonderful that you've shared his day with us :) Happy Birthday little one :)

PS I've tagged you.

Anonymous said...

I cant believe 3 years have passed! Everything looks gorgeous and I laughed out loud at that little nameless doggy in his hat!! That's a great photo.
Thanks for taking me to Coopers party....it was fun and very quiet from way over here. :)
love, mayonnaise

Sarah Nicole said...

He's so cute, your son that is as well as that little doggie of yours.

Paola Westbeek said...

Lovely pics, Lisa! Cooper is a heartbreaker, the cake sounds perfect...and that DOG!!! TOO, too cute!

paola

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Cooper, it doesn't seem five minutes since you were posting last years birthday pics Lisa :)

Wonderful birthday cake too, yum!

Anonymous said...

How about some kid tipping stories!