Monday, March 23, 2009

Foolish Charlotte

Strawberries are in season here and we've been eating a ton of them. I finally found some rhubarb at the grocery store, and stewed it down with some sugar and then combined it with whipped cream, the berries, and some ladyfingers to make a combination fool/Charlotte. Very light and delicious!

I regret not getting the Charlotte pan I was contemplating when Julie and I shopped at E. Dehillerin a few years ago -- it would have been much more elegant than my aluminum foil contraption. But it works.

Oh, and I used Siesta Key rum hot off the still, mixed w/water, to dip the biscuits in before placing them into the mould.

Now that I've learned the formula, I find Charlottes so easy to make and they're very pretty. It's just a matter of assembling and then letting the form sit for an hour or more to allow all the components to meld together.


Try one!

9 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

That looks good Lisa!
x

Rachel said...

Oh I'm so proud! Looks delicious...did Coop get it all over his face again?! Or Troy?

julie said...

Yes!Fresh and delicious. You see the charlotte mould isn't that necessary. There'll surely be an opportunity to come and get it one day!

Norm said...

That looks gorgeous! What a lovely fresh summery dessert. I can't wait 'til strawberries are in season here!

Anonymous said...

So lucky to have ANYTHING in season at this time of year. Do the ladyfingers go quite soft then? I've never made one either ... would be a great summertime dessert though, yes? Yours looks delicious.
xo
Jody

Lisa said...

Yes, Jody, the ladyfingers get soft and cake-like!
L. xoxo

Anonymous said...

that looks good and fresh.
Tx

Sandy said...

Definitely on my to try list for summer.
it looks beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Oh - that is very inspiring!!!