Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Trying to be a locavore!

For some time now I've been meaning to sign up for a local produce box, and reading Barbara Kingsolver's book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle spurred me to seek out an organic source and get started.
This is my first pick-up, and I am really impressed with the quality.
The arugula has a fantastic flavor, and the basil is lush and green -- no black spots like you're sometimes stuck with when buying the plastic-wrapped herbs from the supermarket.
I also got radicchio, eggs, Boston lettuce, gorgeous fennel, Italian parsley, strawberries, and a giant onion.

All of this was presented in the cute basket for a grand total of $27, which seems like a great price to me. I think I would have paid a lot more at Whole Foods, and it would not have all been so fresh and locally grown. There's no need to compare it with the stuff from the supermarket b/c that shit's been travelling around the globe in dark boxes. So, I feel good about what I'm getting for the price I'm paying, while giving support to local farmers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, that stuff looks fantastic! Lucky you! You really could be a locavore, living in Florida. Here we'd eat mostly potatoes from long months at a stretch.

Sandy said...

i'd be very excited to have a basket of fresh 'suprise' produce arrive. i am looking into this soon (ontario winter stuff can be a little boring).

Anonymous said...

I keep promising myself to do this Lisa and it will also be delivered but I now live 400 meters from the Aix market and everything always looks and tastes so good there. What to do?
Tx

Lisa said...

Terry, I think that market has everything you need! It's all so fresh and isn't it mostly local & seasonal? I think that if you have that, you don't necessarily need the organics.
L. xoxo

Anonymous said...

That does look good! I need to get off my butt and get back over to "my" local organic guy.

Oh, and the funny little Indian market in Tustin has the BEST tomatoes!