Sunday, March 01, 2009

Our Favorite Books III - Nancy's Fancies


Please forgive me for that header, cringe cringe, but I couldn't help myself, since I'd rhymed the previous "Our Favorite Books" lists.
My friend Nancy is a naturalized Texan-->Californian, which says a lot and represents many of the best traits a person can possess. She studied Faulkner and is a real live-wire, so much so, that I see she doesn't stop for caps and other superfluous punctuation that can slow down the reader -- just like our Texan favorite, Cormac McCarthy.
After recently finding myself up clenching my teeth reading "All the Pretty Horses," I fired off an email to Nancy to try to feel out whether or not the main character was doomed or not. She didn't get my hopes up nor spoil the ending for me, which was just right. She also occasionally reassures me that my son will grow up to be a civilized and contributing member of society.
Here then, are some of her favorite books, and I'd like to say thank you and wish her a very Happy Birthday today!
Or rather happybirthdaygirl!

"east of eden" is one of my favorites also - likewise "the grapes of wrath" - i like so many books, hard to choose - "lonesome dove", more recently "the kite runner" and "water for elephants", anything by annie proulx, "the historian" (so much so that i may reread it sometime soon, "seabiscuit", "flyboys", and "no country for old men".

add to list bel canto, poisonwood bible, perfume, and don't let's go to the dogs tonight - as for cormac, never hope for a happy ending - his most recent novel i couldn't even attempt to read, and i am a huge fan.

2 comments:

Coffee with Cathy said...

This is a great list. I've recommended "Poisonwood Bible" to so many people. And McCarthy can be painful to read but I'm always glad that I've done it. Thanks for sharing this!

Lisa said...

Cathy, I have never read it -- or any Kingsolver -- so I will add it to my To-Read list! I also would like to read her "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle."
I love Cormac, but am still recovering from "The Road," which I finished last week. Wow.