Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Misplaced Scandinavians

A lot of the books I read my sons are favorites from my childhood, but some are discoveries from adulthood, like Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton, and Elsa Beskow.
I adore the Elsa Beskow books, full of enchanting forest creatures and tiny people who wear little hats that look like spotted mushroom caps or pointy pine cones. Her world is full of friendly rabbits, fairies, playful squirrels, wise birds, and the people are so small that it takes them two full hands to hold a mere berry. The mother knits the children pure white sweaters that they wear in the cold wintertime with their pretty little green mittens, as they gather firewood and talk to the rabbit, whom they notice has a white winter coat, too. They gather mushrooms and slice them and string them up to dry. Just a delight!
The stories also feed my fantasies about how Scandinavians must have the most fantastic, and perfect summers! I'm convinced that if I spent summers in Sweden, Finland, Denmark, or Norway I would love summertime, and maybe even come to enjoy salmon. I would stroll through wispy fields and eat mouthfuls of fresh herbs like Andreas Viestad in Lom. I'd wear a bucket hat and pick mushrooms under the strict supervision of Anli.
Incidentally, Roald Dahl summered in Norway and shares his fond memories in Boy.
I went on an Elsa Beskow book binge a couple years ago, and bought The Children of the Forest, Peter in Blueberry Land, Woody, Hazel, and Little Pip, and Around the Year. I was so excited to present them to the boys, but, sadly, no one was quite as interested as I was. So, after several forced attempts, I shelved my enthusiasm along with the books (in the boys' room, of course). I would read them once in a while, but still, the boys seemed more interested in...dinosaurs.
Today, I saw Children of the Forest in a stack that had been brought down to form a "force field," which is what the boys do with their books lately. They prop up the books and form a fence, and then sit and play in the middle of the force field. On a whim, I grabbed the Forest book and sat down to read it to Cooper.
He loved it!

I don't know who was more excited -- Cooper about the frogs and owls and little forest people; or me about Cooper liking the book! He was enrapt to the final word!

I'm so happy and have been sitting here staring at Cooper as he's playing on the floor. I can't help envisioning this little towhead wearing a puffy round red cap with white polka dots. Maybe this Halloween. In the meantime, we still have The Sun Egg to look forward to.

Feed your Scandi-love -- watch New Scandinavian Cooking

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Lisa...

I am so very looking forward to picking mushrooms here in Latvia. We aim to go at least once every autumn.

I believe that we have (probably through trial and error by our ancestors) found that much more mushrooms are edible, so we pick more varieties than the Scandi's do.

While the chanterelles come up even in relatively dry and sunny weather, the other mushrooms need rain to develop, so mushroom time is usually a good weather morning after a rainy week. The main mushroom time for me is August - September. While I reasonably hate berrying (picking wild blueberries or raspberries never did it for me - small berries, big containers), I adore mushroom picking which is a different exercise - you go around, you search, actively looking for the mushrooms, walking quite a distance in the process.

We usually pick too much (just as you are supposed to leave, you usually find the best spot and the best looking mushrooms) - and you have to get through the whole lot in the evening of the day of picking - which means both cleaning and bottling, so it is a lot of work as a result.

Sandy said...

I have bought books that I thought Camden would love, as I do, but have also shelved them until further notice. I'm so happy reading that, what a great moment. I love to watch them discovering and enjoying something so brand new, especially when it is something you also love. Cooper is so adorable!

Kelly-Jane said...

I'll buy one for mine, and see what she thinks. Which would you suggest as a first buy please Lisa?

KJxx

Lisa said...

Redhead, what a fabulous adventure that must be! Please report back after your foray! My home state is known for the morel, which is one of my favorite mushrooms.
K-J, I recommend "Children of the Forest" first, and next "Peter in Blueberry Land." I hope she likes them!

vonsachsen said...

Lisa, I couldn´t agree more! I just love these books, and just as you I learnt to love them as an adult, since I am grown up in Sweden...
hehe, Cooper does look excited, indeed !

vs xx

Anonymous said...

Peter in Blueberryland (aka Putte i blÄbÀrsskogen) is one of those I remember from my earliest childhood. Other favourites are The Sun Egg and Ollie's Ski Trip.

BUT my all time favourite is the series about the little orphans, Peter and Lotta (several books), that are given a home by the three ladies Aunt Brown, Aunt Green and Aunt Lavender. You read them one way as a child, and then as an adult you can amuse yourself looking for all kinds of dynamics in the interplay between the adults in the books! Small town life! Get all those and then we can discuss things on mrXcooks!