Sunday, July 15, 2007

Super fly

My superfoods eating plan didn't exactly come to a screeching halt this weekend, with the arrival of our friends from Colorado. Rather, it was the equivalent of the freeway SUV rollover, veering off into a spectacular bounce of a landing. It started with the pasta al forno I made using Nigella's recipe from Feast, utilizing bacon, beef, and rigatoni that didn't contain a speck of whole grain in it.
But damn it was good.
By Saturday night I was throwing whatever I could grab from the kitchen onto the table. We grilled hamburgers, a steak, made nachos. The boys were grabbing bananas, apples, strawberries, orange juice, cheese sticks, watermelon. Ham and salami sandwiches were made at breakneck speed, and today Gail made chocolate chip cookies -- the secret recipe containing Crisco.
I give.
Gail and I have managed to split a Greek salad between us, but I'm still on deck to make a rum cake and also bought Champagne to toast our last night together. Troy wants to make his waffles tomorrow, and asked me to pick up strawberries and whipped cream for a festive topping. We have been having so much fun and if only all the swimming the boys have been doing would burn off the calories I've consumed, the weekend would be perfect!
Troy and Tori met when they worked as valet parkers at the Brown Palace hotel in Denver, a luxurious grande dame where they were relegated to the entrance and garage. They talked about philosophy late into the night between bursts of scrambling for tips and sliding the hotel guests' cars sideways into spaces using the emergency hand break technique. The beginning of a strong friendship was forged that would see them through their salad days and the big and small events in life to come.

Troy has never, ever forgotten how Tori would make pasta with Italian sausage, and automatically split it onto two plates when they were roommates. I don't know if Tori ever realized just how broke and hungry Troy was back then, but I can tell that as long as Troy lives, it will give him great pleasure to spend time with Tori and his family, and give back in any way that he can. There's a great respect and loyalty between these two friends that does my heart good to see. And I suppose that's a different kind of super food.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Superfood for the soul!

Sounds like you had a ball! And great food for the body too!

Juliexx

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa.....I lurk here on a regular basis and enjoy it very much.

Lovely pic of all those kiddies, but what caught my eye was the little blonde wearing the blue shoes. I am sure he has them on the wrong feet, or is it my eyes?

Livewire....aka...Jean

Lisa said...

Hi Jean! (Livey!)
You are very observant! That's Cooper and he consistently wears his shoes on the wrong feet. It's something I switch out and he and I discuss regularly.

Sandy said...

What a good lookin' bunch of kids! And they look so well behaved. Whatever was on the table works!!!

Anna's kitchen table said...

Julie is right - truly superfood for the soul!!
At least Equal to superfoods for the body !!
:-)

xx

Kelly-Jane said...

It's a happy experience to re-connect with real friends. Love the pic of the children, a happy - no doubt noisy! - table :)