Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Mud-lucious and puddle-wonderful

Summertime,
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high
-George Gershwin


There are times here when we sit outside and see a great show of nature. I don't know where you grew up, but I've never seen some of the things that I see down here. Turtles crossing the road (to get to the other side); alligators sunning themselves. At times, it seems downright prehistoric. The pelicans resemble pterodactyls, and the bugs are enormous. Yesterday, the fish were jumpin' and I managed to catch some shots. There was also a giant, red dragonfly whirring around.

And after a number of fish jumped, a hawk appeared overhead to survey the action. He was distracted by something apparently more tempting in a nearby field, but for a moment I thought we might see him divebomb and clutch a fish. Maybe he'd already had a big breakfast.


In The Wizard of Oz, Dorothy learns that she need never look any farther than her own backyard for her heart's desire. Because, she is told, if she can't find it there, then she never really lost it to begin with.
A few nights ago, I sat watching the sun set, and could smell the heady fragrance of the Casablanca lilies in full bloom. It's taken me a while, I thought, but I may have finally succumbed to Florida.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Lisa! What gorgeous photos. You do make it sound idyllic down there.

Sandy said...

Lisa, it seems like an awesome place to live. I have always been a 'city girl', but have learned to really appreciate the beauty the farther you get from congested, polluted cityscapes. Your kids will have such amazing memories growing up- Lucky them!

Kelly-Jane said...

Lovely photos, I always thinks it special when a dragonfly comes into sight. :)

KJxx