Friday, January 05, 2007

Books & movies

I love hearing what other people think of their books & movies, and thought it might be nice to add comments here when I finish a book or see a movie. I've been really out of the loop this past year when it comes to films, b/c I just don't get to the cinema that much during this phase of my life. I also haven't been watching many dvds, but now have a new system where I watch them on my computer. So, I'm hoping to work through my Netflix queue a lot faster. I've never been great at reviewing, so bear with me, but I'd like to just share my thoughts.

My, Myself, & I
Rachel Griffiths is a cool single woman who excels in her writing career, but starts to think about marriage & children, wondering about the road not taken. She has an accident and runs into herself in a sort of parallel universe-situation where she is married to her old bf ("the one that got away") and has to live that in that life for a while. Nothing heavy, but a well-done take on something probably everyone can relate to.
Recommend. Probably a chick flick.

Brokeback Mountain
I am probably the last person on Earth to see this. I think it should have been rated S-for Sad. The acting and the wilderness scenery are incredible, and I loved the relationship between these two lonely people. I only wish it could have been different. Ang Lee is one of my favorite directors, although he often breaks my heart.
Recommend.

Monsoon Diary by Shoba Narayan
This is one Indian woman's memoir, centered around food -- recipes included. Her love of food, the role of food in her life as she passes through major stages. Shoba's a spirited woman and the writing is open & forthright. I like the insider's view of Indian life and all the details she provides. She begins w/tales of her childhood, school lunches, travels, and then moves on to talk about her years studying in America and becoming a sculptor, winding through her marriage and various family events. Very nice.
Recommended.

3 comments:

julie said...

Wolf got me Monsoon Diary for Xmas, based on your recommandation, I had put it on my wishlist:)

I can't wait to read it!

Anna's kitchen table said...

I would like to read that one too...
Great idea Lisa!

Lisa said...

I hope you like it, Julie! (The pressure...)
Anna, since you love Indian food, and the author is spunky like you, I think you would like this book!