Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Done for.

"Next to a circus, there ain't nothing that packs up and tears out faster than the Christmas spirit." ~Kin Hubbard

There it is -- the last candy cane of the season, the last decoration on the tree. It's over & done.

Today, I finally got all the ornaments off the Christmas tree, packed away the other decorations, and (sniff) Troy took the tree out to the curb. The cats are slightly peeved that they've lost their living room forest.
The holidays went by so fast, and now I'm tired!
Yesterday, I made Rachel's slow-roasted pork, which cooks, um, slowly, in the oven, for several hours. Since I didn't start the recipe until about 6:00 p.m. last night, I left it covered in the oven all night (never follow my advice when ovens are concerned!). By the time I woke up this morning, I had a primo pot of shredded BBQ ready for the day. So successful is this slow-roasting method, that the pork fell apart when I poked it with a spoon, just snooping around. Yes -- a spoon, not even a fork! That's beyond tender.
So, after my Christmas-tree chores, I treated myself to an awesome sandwich.

I like poppyseed buns, just in case I get called in for a random drug test, but any roll would be great w/this. And the pork is so flavorful that all you need is a bun, no condiments.



Rachel's Slow-Roasted Pork with Bourbon

2 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1 pork shoulder/butt - 5 lbs
10 garlic cloves
10 fresh sage leaves
2 T. oil
1/2 C. sweet hot mustard (I used Dijon - any good mustard would be fine)
1/2 C. brown sugar
1 t. Worcestershire
1/4 C. bourbon

Rub pork with salt and pepper. Cut slits into pork and stuff with garlic and sage. Refrigerate overnight.
Sear meat in oil. Mix mustard, sugar, worcetershire, and bourbon. Pour half over pork. Bake at 250F covered with foil for 4 hours. After 4 hours, spoon rest of sauce over and cook uncovered 2 more hours.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Bika has just dragged ours to the curb. I have needles in my hair and sap on my jeans, a huge trail of mess to clear up and one unhappy cat who has lost her playhouse and personal water reservoir. The room looks empty...

That pork looks delicious, go crazy on the poppy seeds :)

mayonnaise said...

Thats so funny Lisa, I took all my xmas decos down today too and I feel so tired! And everyone is at home and in bed here...which is unheard of at 10.15pm!!!! xx

Lady M said...

That looks yum! definitely something to give my dad -- he loves slow roasted meat.

xoxo
Ilana