Tuesday, January 02, 2007

It's not Fairview, but...

Just after Thanksgiving, my neighbor, Bree, invited me to a Tupperware party she was co-hosting with our normal neighbor, the librarian Mrs. L. I was all set to decline, but then she came over and caught me off-guard, frazzled in my pajamas and feeling like I couldn't lie, so I said, "Oh, yes, I'll be there!"
I've never been to a Tupperware party, but after the Thanksgiving activities, I decided to look at the bright side and thought that I'd escape for an evening and go across the street and drink some wine, eat some hors d'oeuvres, and chat w/the neighbors.
So I made a hasty retreat from Troy & the boys right at dinnertime, clicking acoss the road in my new patent Kate Spades.
When Mrs. L. opened the door, she welcomed me warmly and said, "Woo hoo! Sexy mama!" so I was feeling pretty chipper and definitely ready for the Tupperware pitch. I was the first to arrive.
Now, I am half German, but all the organizational knack seemed to skip transfer from my Mom, and I lead more of a , um, relaxed homelife where people are constantly looking for their shoes and asking me where things are, to which I reply: "I don't know."
When I last visited my cousin, in Germany, I was completely impressed by his organized kitchen. Efficient! He and his gf use quite a bit of Tupperware. For cheese, luncheon meats, you name it: a place for everything and everything in its place! I aspired!
So back at Mrs. L & Bree's party, I listened earnestly as Bree explained to me how I could store one entire box of cereal in a particular container, and a 5-lb. bag of flour could be transferred into a square container, thus protecting it from bugs and spoilage. I asked about the cheese & lunchmeat containers and let Mrs. L. pour me a glass of wine. Bree went on to explain how her pantry was set up, and that she is OCD. I said, "Really?" "Well, no, I'm kidding."
I'm not so sure.
Bree explained that she had a label maker, and that not only is all her cereal in Tupperware, but it's also labeled. I was impressed.
Impressed but bored. It was almost two hours, nobody was coming, and I thought I'd rather be home doing other things.
And then the doorbell rang. Mrs. L. opened it, and it was Missy Soprano! Missy apologized for being late. I think she had some documents to shred or something. But upon her arrival, I definitely decided it was time to get the show on the road, lest my wallet go missing before I could place an order. I quickly ordered a bunch of containers, and said I had to go tuck in the boys.
My order arrived just before Christmas, and was therefore shoved off into a closet b/c I was too busy getting organized. Meanwhile, Gina gave Troy a label maker for Christmas! Kismet!
So yesterday, I washed all of my new Tupperware and decanted everything I could find, while Troy made labels!
Voila!

Isn't that excellent?
We were having so much fun, we kept organizing!

Labelling is addictive.

As Beck says, "Things are gonna change, I can feel it."

4 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

Wow! I'm impressed!
Decanting everything into Tupperware is one of my unobtainable dreams (sigh!)
Never mind, I can live vicariously through you Lisa!
:-)

Ms O said...

Why aren't you writing professionally? I become dreamily and humorously engaged in your words, and pictures, too. How's about a book or an ongoing series of your everyday life with Troy and the boys (names can always be changed to protect the not so innocent ;)).

Lea xxx

julie said...

I love it, so funny!

Sarah said...

Hey Lisa!

We have those exact same tupperware containers at home! Lol.

xox Sarah