Sunday, January 28, 2007

Ship of Fools

After my Mom died, I called Chase Bank to inform them, and to cancel her credit card. There was a zero balance.
The conversation I had with the woman in "Customer Support" said she refused to discuss the account with me, because my name wasn't listed on the account. I tried to explain the situation to her, and that I was my Mom's legal representative, but the woman was like a robot, repeating her company line and refusing to deal with me. She said there was another person listed on the account, and that person would have to call her.
The other person named on the account was my step-father, Manny, who died 12 years ago. Not that the woman told me this -- because that was her confidential information which I was not privy to. I guessed, and she hesitated before curtly telling me she refused to discuss the account or help me.
Now, Manny was a wonderful father to me, and we had a great relationship, but as I was 21 by the time he came into our lives, I was never adopted by him. So I couldn't really speak for him. But had I been able to, I would have said, "I'm dead, cancel the account."
By the time I got off the phone with this person, I was close to busting an artery in my head and was so upset, I was sobbing. I felt like I was going to explode. There's nothing like having to deal with bureaucracy to compound acute pain. I believe people generally fall into two categories: those who follow the rules, and those who are sometimes willing to break them. Obviously, no matter what I said to this person at Chase, she had her rules blinders on and was not going to deal with me or try to work out a solution. It seemed so simple to me, but it wasn't.
We later sent a written request to cancel the card, including a death notice, and yet continued to receive statements reflecting the annual fee.
I remember how frustrated my Mom got, after my father died, and the credit card company cancelled their credit card because her name was not listed jointly on the account, but rather, listed as a cardholder. Different rights. No rights. The maddening frustration she had to face, along with her shock and grief, made such an impression, that I'm sure it must be why she never made changes in these things later in her life. Like when Manny died.
Yesterday, we received a letter in the mail, addressed to Manny. It is from Chase Bank USA's Customer Support Division, and they wanted to let him know that they want him to be "completely satisfied with [your] credit card account. We wish to extend condolences to you on your recent loss." They wanted Manny to know that they have removed my Mom's name from the credit card account as of late January. They also offer 24-hour assistance through a toll-free number, if Manny has any questions. And they want him to be aware that if he calls, the conversation may be monitored and/or recorded because they seek to ensure the highest level of quality service.
If I still had the card -- which I don't, because I systematically cut it up and burned it while spewing curses at Chase Bank -- I might consider going shopping with my step-father.
In Dubai.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shaking my head for you.......and sending you a hug. So frussstrating!!!!!
Sorry Lisa you have had to waste your time and good energy with this stuff....x

Lady M said...

Oh, man, those people are just awful. I had similar experiences this past weekend, though not as sad or painful. You'd think they have these clauses where they could help you out no matter what.

Sorry you had to go through this.

xoxo
Ilana

Anna's kitchen table said...

Silly woman is what's known in the UK as a 'Jobsworth'.
ie As in 'It's more than my job's worth (to help you)'

Do you guys have this saying?

I'm sorry you had so much hassle Lisa
xx