Monday, May 07, 2007

The Ball Jar

Here we go,
Here we go,
Here we-here we-here we-go.
-Run DMC


I'm done freaking out.
Since January, we have been at a crossroads, trying to determine the next step for our family, and what that would mean. Where we should live, what we should do.
It's a very serious consideration, and we have discussed the pros and cons of our leading options: stay here in Florida, move back to California, or, in third place, move to Seattle.
Like Jack Keroac (or not), Troy hit the road and mulled it all over, and for a while it seriously looked like California was the winner. But it's not.
There will be no barefoot sunset walks in a little vineyard, no tilling of terroir, no white duck quacking around the tiny farm of fantasies.
We are staying in Florida.
After months of brainstorming, debating, and researching, we are starting a rum company. Correction!: a micro-distillery.
For rum.
I really could not foresee this for myself, and maybe that's what I get for not having a life plan. But nevertheless, the starting gun has been fired, and Troy has begun making lists of Things To Do.
After deciding to go forward with our plan, Troy said, "The first thing I need to do is find an attorney."
And last week, he did.
Because a business involving alcohol requires lots of legal advice and strategy. There are a lot of rules and laws about alcohol, and you wouldn't want to step out of line. No.
So he found an attorney, a guy in Miami who specializes in matters of alcohol, and used to work as an inspector for the ATF, which apparently isn't the ATF anymore, but rather the TTB. I'll have to Google that.
[Two minutes later.]
Ah: Tax & Trade Bureau.
The name will be filed, licenses will be applied for, and "office" space will be found for a still. Acquiring the still is the focus of this week, and apparently the Germans make the superior equipment. Currently, our kitchen looks like a science lab, a series of Ball canning jars clutter the counter, all containing mixes ranging from fresh bananas to vanilla to horned melon (Troy sees good marketing potential in that one).
Good thing we know a few rum drinkers, because it's too much for us to sample on our own, even as parents of four boys. I think we'll be hosting a lot of tastings between now and the official launch, which should be in about 6 months.
It may be crazy, but I believe in following your gut, and my husband's is filled with distilled sugar cane. I may not get a charming white duck, but maybe I could adopt a parrot who says interesting things, like "Yo ho ho."

11 comments:

julie said...

Wow, this is so real! I can't wait to see pics of the equipment and after that, the finished product!

I love the idea of fruit rums, so popular in La RĂ©union, where everyone make their own and get their friends drunk on it, LOL!

Good luck with everything you two!

Rachel said...

What a great idea. I'm a firm believer in following one's gut- especially when sugar cane is involved! I love the idea of fruit flavoured rums, especially banana mmmmmmm.
Bonne chance :)

Kelly-Jane said...

The very best of luck to your both!

It sounds like a really cool thing to do :)

KJxx

Anonymous said...

Wow, how exciting! What an interesting idea! You know we'll all buy some once the product launches. I'll buy it and I don't even particularly like rum.

Lady M said...

I'll send Rafa right over to be a taster. :)) How exciting! The two of you are so smart and inventive I have no doubt you'll succeed and have a lot of fun along the way. What will your company be called?

xoxo
Ilana

Anna's kitchen table said...

Wow! You are both so brave and ambitious, I admire you for trying new things!
Good luck with everything
xxx

megan5286 said...

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirates life for me!

Can I be your QA?

Kelly-Jane said...

Hi Lisa,

I'm passing on a tag to you! Hope you'll join in.

KJxx

vonsachsen said...

I wish you good luck! It won´t be easy but following your gut feeling can´t lead you wrong.

vs xx

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congrats. What a great adventure you are embarking on. Good luck! Can't wait to taste some of your new products when they are on the market.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

How cool! The very best of luck it sounds like an amazing thing to do.