Saturday, May 26, 2007

Revising the idea of a bad day


Last night I happened to watch, "Apocalypto."
Holy hell.
From the first scene, it's an intense, extreeeeemely violent and bloody movie. After watching poor Jaguar Paw go through a few days, I said to Troy, "Wow. Kind of makes you feel like you shouldn't complain about the worst day you might have."
Indeed, I don't have to chase down a tapir for dinner (nor eat it's balls); run for my life while arrows are being slung at my back; or birth a baby au naturelle (I've learned that's not for me) like Mrs. Jaguar Paw.
Whenever I watch any historical show and consider how people may have lived before modern times, I'm always grateful to live in the here and now, with access to Advil.

And so, as much as I would like to complain about today, which is being devoted to the battle of wills between Harry and myself over his potty-training, I won't.

Read a movie review of "Apocalypto"

Read what a Mayan scholar says about "Apocalypto."

And yet another Mayan scholar, archaeologist Dr. Smith, says yes, it really was that brutal."

5 comments:

vonsachsen said...

LOL, Lisa, the pictures you posted might have been too bloody for my sensitive laptop, because I can´t see them...
Yes, we (I) tend to romanticise (is there such a word?) the indians and other older or ancient civilizations but they were often very "barbarian". I really don´t like to use this word, because I guess they just lived in another world where such things happened every day...
Haven´t seen the movie, heard about it a lot but now I just have to watch it:)

vonsachsen said...

PS Just read the article at Archeology.org, interesting. Also I would like to say sorry if anyone feels offended by me using the word indians, instead of Native Americans, it´s my insufficient English knowledge.

Lisa said...

These terms change frequently over time, it would be silly to find offense in something where none was intended.
I am not sure why the pics aren't showing up; will trouble-shoot.
When you see the movie, I suggest having no food in your stomach, and you might want to have a strong drink at hand.

vonsachsen said...

Oh, is is THAT bad?

Anonymous said...

Geez, I'll think I'll pass. The only films I seem to be able to watch are kids movies these days.

Megan