Sunday, May 27, 2007

Hey, they are not kidding.

I love popcorn and have developed a precise methodology involving heat, steam, shaking, and the perfect oil/corn ratio in the pot, finishing with a light drizzling of unsalted butter and a sprinkling of salt. The perfect hot bowl.
However, last night there was no time for that, and I wanted a snack fast, so I snagged one of Troy's microwavable kettle corn packages (yuck. See how desperate I was?). I cavalierly tossed it into the microwave oven and hit the POPCORN button (life's a breeze, isn't it?) and continued chattering away to Troy until I heard the familiar DING DING DING of the microwave chime.
Imagine my crestfallen facial expression when a handful of popcorn fell out, trailed by a stream of dark yellow liquid.

What the?!
Oh no, I'd done it! I'd failed to follow the directions!

Yuck! Not just microwaved kettle corn, but muddled microwaved kettle corn! I'd always kind of wondered about this big warning on the flat package. It's hard to imagine that one side could make such a huge difference, but, as we see here, it does. As Dominick Dunne might say, there is an art to placement.

5 comments:

Kelly-Jane said...

Yellow liguid? Were there a lot of unpopped corn kernels too? The one and only time i tried micro popcorn this is what happened to me. One of these days I'm going to try the real thing...

Sandy said...

Hi Lisa! I have recently discovered your blog and have to tell you it is among my true favorites! I admire anyone with 4 small children and a sense of humor intact! Just tell me, how do you find time to watch a movie or read a book...I need to know your secret! :)

Lisa said...

K-J, that would be the oil & butter flavoring. Yes, there were a lot of unpopped kernels!
Thank you so much, Sandy! You've made me smile after a rough weekend of potty-training!! I like to watch movies after they've been sent to bed, and if they start to come downstairs, I tell them I'm watching a movie about werewolves, which makes them turn tail and run. Books, I try to read bit by bit, whenever I can. It takes me a while! xo

Sandy said...

Lisa,
I am going to try that werewolf tactic with my 3 1/2 year old!
I've actually started my own blog after discovering yours and a few others from the n.com site
I feel like I may just have found the perfect way to vent and document the craziness of marriage and motherhood! Hoping it keeps my sanity intact! Wish me luck....

vonsachsen said...

He he....oooh, I mean: I´m sorry.