Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Backtracking!



Now that my laptop is back home from its road trip, we have to journey back to France to see the sights I didn't get a chance to upload earlier! The idea for this trip started around Mother's Day. It's been a life-long dream of Troy's mom to see France, and despite attempts to travel there, her plans always, sadly, fell through. She's got little Eiffel Towers and various French adornments throughout her house, which is decorated in a very romantic & eclectic style, and has wanted to see the country for years. The last stifled plan was the biggest disappointment, as it was the closest she'd gotten. She'd started a separate savings account to put away money for the trip, had a tour pegged, and was looking forward to travelling with three of her friends. She even started French lessons. One by one, however, the friends cancelled for various reasons. After having lost my Mom so unexpectedly, coupled with the belief that one cannot put these dreams off forever, Troy & I decided we should give her a little nudge, and to surprise her with a plane ticket. You know: "if not now -- when?" But we felt that she really wouldn't want to go alone, and, as much as he loves her, Troy declined the idea of a mother-son trip to Paris. So I was appointed. I know she would have had a really fun time with her friends, but I did my best & it was great to see her realize her dream. We started out in Paris, arriving in the early evening. After swinging by our hotel to drop off our bags, went out for dinner, and then walked over to see the Eiffel Tower, twinkling with lights. I wish Troy & his brother could have seen their Mom -- all those years of wondering about it and there it was, right in front of her!




2 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

You are so thoughtful to have organized all this for your MIL. How lovely for the 3 of you to spend time together like that. The pics take me back to last June when I went to Paris, I would love to go again. This time I would love to see the Eiffel tower lit up, it looks amazing. troy's Mom looks cool!

Sarah said...

Troy's Mum rules!!!

Those are some awesome photos!

xox Sarah