Sunday, September 10, 2006

Three less eggs to fry

What a bore it's been around here all week. With half the family gone, you'd think I would be relishing the relative solitude, but instead, I just ramble around, or chase the wee ones around shouting after them, "No!" "Shut that!" "Get out of there!" Don't open that!" and then muttering cuss words under my breath.
Then I think of something to do.
I start off my day with cappuccino for one. I've had to learn how to make a good cap, since Troy usually makes mine, and because he always does such a fine job as barista, I've never really gotten to know the Francis!Francis! machine. Now we're on such tight terms, I call it Frank.

I try to have "together" time at the table, but something's definitely missing.

Harry and Cooper just throw the food I make for them on the floor and laugh about it. High comedy. So we do sit together & eat, but now I read in between barking at them.

Today I read Nigel Slater's, "Kitchen Diaries," while I ate. Not to be rude or antisocial, but I've given up on trying to have a decent conversation with these two, and at least Nigel is a chatty chap who branches out beyond Frankensteinian-type language. Tomorrow I'll be dining with Anna del Conte!
Even the dog is bored.
Oh, no, wait. He's just trying to look nonchalant as he hovers under the high chair, knowing that the food throwing will soon commence. I don't think he's picked up any new skills this week.
The other day, we gathered key limes from Troy's tree.Usually, we look at them for days, while contemplating a key lime pie, and then just end up squeezing them into a rum & Coke. However, Troy isn't here to use them. God help me if I feel compelled to make a key lime pie in the days to come.

I made jam for the first time! Mannix's fig/Meyer lemon/fresh ginger jam, and it is excellent. Unfortunately, the little ones won't try it. Another very good thing I learned is how to make a Thai curry. This was my first, and it was excellent -- Thai hot. I would love to invite some people over to share it, but frankly, I'm too tired! Tomorrow will mark a real "she must be bored" first: the laundry will be done. This occurs less often than a total eclipse, so I may have to mark the occasion with...ah, no, not a pie. It would have to be a rum & Coke.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Lisa!

I'll come over for a Thai curry!

Hehehe.

xox Sarah

julie said...

Me too!!! It looks great!

Hang in there, Lisa dear, things willlook up! Nigel and Anna will take your mind off the boredom!

Anonymous said...

Awh, the pic of the empty chair is so sad!
Never fear, it won't be long till they have all returned and you'll be wondering why you missed them at all!

Anna's kitchen table said...

Curry and coffee both look yummy dear Lise!

Enjoy the quiet - they'll be back before you know it!!

:-)