Sunday, September 03, 2006

Life in the big house

There are days when I really feel like raising children must be a bit like being a prison warden. I joke about this to Kirsten often, as she really does work in a prison, in Denmark, where I would like to think that the inmates are slightly more civilized than in other places around the world. But I may be kidding myself. I digress.
I've noticed that when one of my inmates -- erm, I mean, sons -- is getting into trouble, sometimes that really riles the other ones and they start acting really rowdy and making monkey noises. "Oo! Oo!" And in my mind I flash back to all the prison movies I've ever seen, where the men start rattling their bars and making a ruckus. I run a tight ship, and I'd like to think I'm firm, but fair, like Robert Redford in "Brubaker." Anyway, today I snapped proof of my whole theory, as my baby, standing at the top of the stairs, gave me pause for thought.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

What a cutie!

I can totally see him replacing Paul Newman in a remake of Cool Hand Luke! Better start boiling some eggs..

xox Sarah

Anonymous said...

It is a funny thing the chain reaction... I don't get it at home, but in the supermarket when 3 aisles away a child is screaming oh so loud, mine sweetie joins in. I end up thinking 'Don't you start as well...!' She is getting better, but it must be instinctive!

KJ

Anonymous said...

I wanna see the warden!

Anonymous said...

I really love "my family and other animals"! Enjoy your reading,

Rh

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's the prison food they're being fed. I'm sure a fresh prison tattoo will make 'em feel better.