Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Love & a wedding


I didn't know it, but my weekend in Seattle was just what I needed. I fell into a real funk after returning from France. When Troy and the boys took off, the little ones ran me ragged and I was also faced with the stark realization that, even though I made it through the first year, my Mom is still not coming back. No, there is no prize for endurance, and though in the back of my mind I had thought (hoped) that my travels and escape would give me relief, which they did, the reality was that there is no cure for grief. The pain and a specific loneliness and sadness were compounded by the fact that my best friend was very ill. And so it was that I nervously left and boarded the plane and felt mostly drained, but looked forward to seeing the other half of my family, and our friends.
I guess I'd forgotten the power of love. Making the unitentional but wise choice to take a cab directly from the airport to the restaurant where the rehearsal dinner was still in progress, I surprised everyone by suddenly appearing tableside with my bags.

The welcoming smiles and hugs and kisses I got overwhelmed me with love, and all of those suffocating feelings of depression washed away as I stood there, in a dining room in Seattle, getting hugged by my family and friends. It was the best thing that could have happened, and just what I needed. I felt like a new person.
Onward to the wedding!

2 comments:

Lady M said...

I'm glad you got the hugs and kisses from your lovely family, and I'm happy that it made you feel better. The kids look adorable and you look happy, and that puts a smile on my face.

xoxo
ilana

Anonymous said...

What a joyful picture. It's wonderful to see you all looking happy. sometimes it's good getting a little time apart to help you appreciate just how good you've got it. :o)