Friday, September 22, 2006

Homey takes a wife.

Tom is the best friend a guy could have. He's fun, smart, warm, and the one you call from the proverbial Mexican jail at 2 a.m. (not that that's ever happened). Troy met Tom when he was in 9th grade, and they've been friends ever since, through good & bad. And the thing about Tom is that, from the moment I arrived upon the scene, he treated me like his friend, not "Troy's girlfriend."
I love the human drama of a wedding. While most may follow a formula, they're never predictable, and rarely dull. With my feelings of happiness for Tom marrying Connie, the tears started before the ceremony when I choked up trying to wish him the all the best. And so it began.
Connie's 2-year-old niece hopped down the aisle as flowergirl, and then proceeded to WIG OUT and scream for her mama. Connie ignored her and started her walk down the aisle. My boys had given me the heads-up on the flowergirl, declaring her "troublesome." By the end of the ceremony, I thought we might have to arrange to put the little one into some sort of toddler witness protection program, as Connie was shooting her a look and trying to hold back from pouncing on the child.
But all went well, everything quieted, and Tom & Connie were pronounced husband & wife.



The reception was held at a rowing club off Troll Drive under the Freemont Bridge & overlooking Lake Union -- gorgeous!

Thai food buffet, and the coolest cake for the Seattleites.

One thing that I loved was that there was a great age range among the friends & family members in attendance. Generations! We had the littlest guy, Jonah, who, despite his age & size, was bustin' moves on the dancefloor from the time the DJ started spinning until the party was over. Midway through the reception, he changed into some Dr. Seuss-like pajamas and continued rockin'.

I was seated next to Connie's beautiful seventysomething aunt, who shared with me a funny story from her wedding day, and more than kept up her end of a wonderful conversation throughout dinner.

It was one of those relaxed, fun weddings and everyone we met was cool. I regret sharing the story about Tom's potent space brownies with the groom's co-workers, however, they seemed to take it in stride, and Tom is honeymooning in Barcelona, so he doesn't know anything about it.
I'm so happy to have been part of the celebration, and I wish the newlyweds a long & happy life together, they deserve it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you could make it LRo!

Anonymous said...

That Tom sounds like a cool cat!