Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Second leg: Aix-en-Provence

Aix is a beauuuuuuuutiful town. Amazing! Built by the Romans, with 101 fountains throughout, and a tree-lined boulevard designed so that Napoleon's army could "march in the shade." Ahhh. What a lovely place. The food was incredible, and luckily for us we had Terry to give us excellent restaurant recommendations. Tons of beautiful, fresh produce & excellent red wines (make no mistake, though -- this is rose town) -- we loved it all. The streets are narrow and slightly hilly, lined with gorgeous ancient buildings that house families, shops, and businesses -- a great place to stroll. This summer was a celebration of Aixois Paul Cezanne, and we did see the big exhibition, on speed, kind of, b/c I can't stand crowds, but it was great nevertheless.
Here's Wyatt on the TGV heading South. I love this train. That look on his face is b/c, at first, he felt the train wasn't living up to its "high-speed" name. It got going, of course.

Les Quatre Dauphines fountain. My Mom loved sunflowers, so I really liked seeing this impromptu gesture.

A handwritten note addressed to moi, and all these fabulous books were waiting for me when I unlocked the door to our hotel room. All from Terry! I love her confidence in me that she gave me a completely French cookbook! I'm going to rise to the occasion, no matter what the stakes.

I can't remember the name of this square, let's ask Terry. But it's historically preserved. And there's another beautiful fountain.

The cours Mirabeau. Now, this summer, there was a drought, which affected the trees and they weren't quite forming their fabled arch.

I think this is that orphanage that little girl Madeline lives in.
No, wait, that's in Paris. Nevermind.

Troy's Mom, first night in Les Agapes, a Provencal restaurant.

Details, details. Look at this incredible door.

Terry, trying on hats. She's an energetic & fun shopper!

The best pizzeria in town. Wood-fired.

Hunker down, b/c there are lots more where these came from.

1 comment:

julie said...

I love your pics, Aiw seems like such a beautiful and peaceful town!