Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The heart of medieval Provence


I've wanted to visit Aix-en-Provence since first hearing about it in my mid-twenties. Founded on the Roman road Aurelian Way, Aix is the cultural and historical capital of Provence, the city of 101 fountains. This summer marks a great celebration of the life of Aixois Paul Cezanne, with an exhibition that is supposed to be fantastic. We'll be meeting up with my friend, Terry, who has lived here for years, to shop and enjoy some leisurely meals. I must also confess I'm wishing for a little romantic magic to be sprinkled in the direction of my mother-in-law, and have put Terry on the case. Cannot wait!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Chambermaid!
I just wandered into your lovely blog. Have you ever read MFK Fisher? Wonderful writer, on food and France, mainly...one of my favorite of her books is called Two Towns in Provence, the two towns being Aix and Marseille...

Anonymous said...

I have that book waiting to give to Lisa when she comes,along wth three others including a book on truffles etc, she will enjoy her reading, shame it's not truffle season when shes here.
Terry

Lisa said...

Hello, ladies! That is so weird that you mention that book b/c it is literally in my cart at amazon and I was debating whether to get it! Okay! I'll wait and read it in Aix -- woo hoo! Cannot wait.
Lisa xo