Monday, July 24, 2006

Honey, I think I may have a problem.



As addictions do, this one snuck up on me. First, the seemingly harmless Tupelo, followed by some orange blossom, a little lavender, and the wild Alpine summer flowers. It's all so dreamy! Next, I got into some black sage from Savannah, harvested only every four years because of the amount of rain needed to grow the black sage, which I had never even heard of. Not long afterward, I found myself ordering organic New Zealand Manuka, and then my friend, DG, sent me a bewitching jar of dark "Forest" from the honey boutique Les Abeilles in Paris...amazing. Looking back, it all happened pretty fast, and I pinpoint the real tipping point as the day I dipped my spoon into the Italian chestnut from Abruzzo. I was semi-shocked, and kind of swooned. Intoxicated by its intensity, I knew the mild Tupelo would no longer be strong enough for my taste. It's not like I'm embarrassed to say it, but I do feel slightly strange, especially confessing that a couple of weeks ago I hit the hardcore Tasmanian Leatherwood...unfiltered. I don't want any kind of an intervention, and I won't make any joke about being BUZZED, but you should try a little spoonful of some of these boutique honeys and join me in the den.
Les Abeilles
Savannah Bee

No comments: