Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Mediterranean fish dish



I've become a real fan of simply prepared fish, and this is one of my favorite sauces to go with just about any fish. This evening, I had some red snapper fillets and loads of red peppers & tomatoes. So here goes: you chop up the red peppers & tomatoes, and throw them into a sautee pan with some olive oil and a little sea salt. I also had fresh thyme on hand, so I added that. Next comes a pinch of cayenne pepper (or more if you're into very spicy food), and a very generous splash of orange juice. (If you had oranges, then you could just chop them up and toss them into the mix.) After everything softens a bit, lay the cleaned & salted fillets onto the mixture, splash with white or red wine, and then flip and cook until done. It takes only a few minutes on each side. I served these w/rice tonight. Potatoes, of course, also would go well. Ah, and the final flourish, as Mr. Bean might say, was a drizzling of this top-notch olive oil that my thoughtful hubby picked up this week during a pit-stop at Williams-Sonoma. My Greek step-dad ate fresh fish, rice pilaf, and salad about twice a week, and when I have this healthful Mediterranean-inspired dish, I always think of him and smile. (He'd wince at my choice of basmati rice, I'm sure, but so be it.)

No comments: