Monday, August 28, 2006

August 20th - Notre Dame

For my Mom, Baerbel.


There is common theme I notice in my life: my "best-laid plans" often go awry. This was no different, despite my honorable intentions, as my planned moments of solitude and reflection were, um, shared with about 50,000 other visitors to Notre Dame. I lit a candle for my Mom and sat down, and did cry a bit. My tears were stopped by my inability to block out the jabbering of the woman sitting behind me, who was droning on and on and on despite my shooting her my best, "Quiet, please!-I'm-trying-to-have-a-moment-here" look. I gradually became agitated enough that I was propelled to flee the cathedral, bypassing the serenely smiling missionaries on the way out with my surly thoughts of, 'yeah, yeah, peace be with you, too.' and raising an eyebrow at the tourists who were sneaking in through the out door.
Notre Dame is an amazing, awesome place, and the sight of all the shimmering candles are enough to stop you in your tracks, thinking of all the souls who have come to light a tiny wick of a representation of their thought, their memory, their wish. There are so many of us. However, in August, on a Sunday, I should have known better -- it's no place for solitary reflection! It doesn't matter though; I think of my Mom every day, and I honor her memory every day, no matter where I am.
We left the fray and, fortunately, for us, ran straight onto the Île Saint-Louis and smack into the line for Berthillon ice cream. Wyatt & I chose caramel, and it was fantastic enough to be soothingly distracting. And our spot by the Seine was relatively quiet & peaceful.

And we did get a ham sandwich at the end of the day.

4 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

Lisa, have been thinking of you and your roller coaster ride of a holiday. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. Notre Dame looks amazing - I can't quite believe that I was there last year! Sacre Couer was the highlight of my holiday I think. I'm glad that you were in such a special place for the anniversary. The photos are great!
xxx

Anonymous said...

There is something very peaceful about lighting a candle for a loved one. Maybe the noisy woman was there to propel you outside to live life, perhaps that was your message.

Thanks for posting your pics, oh I love Paris!

Lisa said...

Right! A definite reminder that we can only control a bit in our lives!
xoxo

Paola Westbeek said...

Lovely pics, Lisa! I bet Wyatt will ceratinly remember that.

Paola

PS: I lit a lot of candles in France, in just about every church I went into. I took Kirstie in and we said a little prayer together and then she would pick out a candle which I would help her light. Very special.

It's a shame that your moment was ruined but like you said, you honor your mom every day and that's what matters most.