Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Happy little vegemites are we!

We're happy little vegemites as fun as fun can be,
We love to eat our vegemite for breakfast, lunch or tea.
Our mothers say we're growing better every single week
Because we love our vegemite
We all adore our vegemite
It puts a rose in every cheek!

So tune on up and sing along!

"Happy little vegemites are we," was a song in Australia, according to Cakes, and although I'm not familiar with that tune, I can relate. Cakes is great! Her Cakes-radar honed in on my Vegemite crisis, voiced on n.com, and she sent two tubes to us in the mail, all the way from Oz. I was thrilled to get the package, all wrapped in string and official, and Cooper dived in like he'd hadn't eaten this yeast extract in 39 days. But who's counting. We have become total vegemite addicts, and we all have our ritual and certain method of spreading on hot toast. Mostly, we're mixers. We mix it up with butter in a porcelain jar until it looks the same color as peanut butter, and then, on the advice of Coby -- my original (not to be confused with aboriginal) Vegemite dealer -- spread it to the far corners of the toast. It tastes great! And Coby tells me it's loaded with "good stuff," like B vitamins, so I even feel kind of holy when I eat it & serve it forth. But really, I am addicted.

1 comment:

Anna's kitchen table said...

Yup, I'm with the 'mix it with butter before it gets near bread ' brigade!
Deeeelicious!