Saturday, August 05, 2006

Backtracking

First, let me say that the reason this blog is titled, "The Chambermaid" is two-fold. Nigella has been known to casually throw out this sentence: "When I was a chambermaid in Italy..." which is great, b/c it's just such a visual. Nigella as Chambermaid! As Rachel said: "I'm thinkin' Nige was a chambermaid for about 10 minutes." She's just too glamorous! Yet the reality is that I am often, indeed, acting as chambermaid here at Chez Testosterone, so it was with a wink that I chose this name. Oh, that, and that every name related to myself on Blogger was already taken. So, that makes it a three-fold reason. But I digress. My pic on my profile was actually one of the beautiful Jeanne Moreau, the French actress who starred in the 1964 film, "Le Journal d'une femme de chambre," or, "The Diary of a Chambermaid." As Celestine, the newly hired maid who works in the country for "a strange group of people." ha.
But anyway, when Paola emailed me and told me I looked like a '60s fashion model, I confessed that, unfortunately, this was not me, but Jeanne Moreau, and then I wondered if perhaps I was violating some sort of blogger etiquette, or at least being misleading. (But I must also clarify that I did not go to college in the '60s, P.) So... over there is my new pic. That's me, and you can see I am no Jeanne. But I do indeed work for a strange group of people, in the country.

5 comments:

Paola Westbeek said...

Yup, I admit to not being the brightest bulb in the chandelier sometimes. I bet that's a classic that everyone knows except me! I was thinking of asking Hans about the movie today in the car but didn't dare. Wasn't in the mood to hear: "you don't know THAT movie?!" Ha! Well now thanks to Lisa I do!

And regarding the pic, you look much cuter, you're smiling and that chick looks all depressed! ;)

paola

julie said...

Lisa, That's a gorgeous pic of you, at least I'll know who to look for in Paris, I might have ended up looking for a (much) younger Jeanne Moreau.

PS I love your blog!

Anonymous said...

Oh, no no no no no, Paola! It's not a classic at all, indeed I think it is pretty obscure! I only got the image by googling for a good pic of a chambermaid :). I thought you were quite astute for saying "I" looked like a '60s fashion model. We know what a very bright bulb you are!
Thanks, Julie, I am gearing up & really looking forward to our adventure!

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard of it either, Paola. But I am having trouble seeing much of a difference between Jeanne and our beautiful Lisa!

Rachel

Lady M said...

So we know you're not this French chick, right? But do you still live in Hooterville, I wonder. :) Hmmmmn.

Pic looks great. I never want to hear that you are not photogenic!! Bull****!