Sunday, August 06, 2006

My education from Judy the foodie




The Zuni Cafe Cookbook by Judy Rodgers is blowing my mind. I feel like I'm beginning a Ph.D. in cooking under the tutelage of Judy, she's so intense & and has amazing depth & breadth. She is a foodie extraordinaire, and I can see she deserves all the kudos she receives; she's a very talented chef and smart restauranteur. My head is spinning, as I just finished reading her instruction on the early salting of meat, poultry, and fish.
I've had the pleasure of eating at Zuni, and I only wish that, at the time, I had known more about the behind-the-scenes process. This book provides a thorough glimpse of the thought and preparation that go into the creative dishes served there, and I'm fascinated, if not a little stunned! Judy is well-taught and well-travelled, and her recipes are based on a classic French tradition/platform, while also reflecting the highest aims of Italian and Californian cuisine. Her instructions are so precise and clear that she manages to impart confidence to even the crazily ambitious recipes...I just need more time. Upon the recommendation of Rachel, who encouraged me to buy this cookbook, I made the Mock Porchetta for dinner. Judy has figured out a way to condense the whole Italian extravaganza of the pig roast into a 3-lb.er on top of root vegetables in a homegirl's oven. The pork shoulder or butt (spare the comments) is butterflied and stuffed with a mixture of salt, pepper, capers, lemon zest, parsley, sage, rosemary...and no, not thyme, but garlic & fennel seeds. (I used fennel pollen b/c it's what I had.) Fabulous! I'm so happy to have found a new cut & way to make pork as the antidote to the ubiquitous flavorless boneless pork loin. Really spectacular and once you're down w/Judy's methodology, it's simple.

3 comments:

julie said...

Lisa, wow, this porchetta doesn't look mock at all! Very very mouthwatering! Kudos to you too!

Sarah said...

Looks delicious! Great photos, I just wanna eat that pork straight off the screen!

xox Sarah

Anna's kitchen table said...

Wow! looks amazing - off to Amazon to check out the book now!
xx